Hello Guys

Talk about guitars, amps and other gear.

Hello Guys

Postby Heather26 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:50 am

Hello Guys I am a beginner and I am looking to buy a guitar, I don't want to spend much because I am learning so hope I'll get some good advice from you :)
Heather26

Re: Hello Guys

Postby Norm » Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:38 pm

I have a nephew that asked me the same question...

My suggestion was this.

Buy as good a guitar as you can afford.

Find a friend who plays well, tell them how much you are willing to spend and go to your local music store and have their crew show you the best two or three they have in your price range and have your friend test them for playability.

I would be careful about buying Chinese right now.

Once you get some background playing you'll be better suited to choosing your own.

Second hand guitars can be a bargain but again, have a player check them out
...that's how it looks to me...The opinion expressed above is my own and does not necessarily reflect the views of this station. Your mileage may vary...

Audio samples: http://www.youtube.com/user/acountrygent/videos
That should do it.
Norm

Postby Spadaro Paolo » Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:19 pm

Hello, my advice for you is to start with a classical guitar;
The handle wider than other types of guitar (acoustic or electric), will help you to form more easily correct technique of the left hand (if you're not left-handed).

Ciao, PAOLO.
Spadaro Paolo

Postby Steve Sanders » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:44 am

Heather, I recommend a good flat-top acoustic guitar to begin with. Sure, have a friend / player check it out, but check it out yourself too. After all it will be YOUR hands on the guitar, especially the neck. If you get one right away that is too big and uncomfortable you might loose interest and not practice. I like any Alvarez acoustic guitar. They are well made and not too expensive. Course, used ones are even a better deal!! Pick with your fingers, play with your heart, and listen with your soul. There are no "secrets" or "shortcuts". Playing a guitar is like a savings account....the more you put in the more you have! Practice is a deposit. But the withdrawals (songs / tunes) are sure nice!! Good luck! Maybe Sannie Klaws will bring you a real nice one for Christmas! Merry Christmas Steve
Steve Sanders

Postby Heather26 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:46 am

Hey Guys , thank you all for your help, I think I'll continue with Norm's advice, I have a friend that plays guitar for more than 5 years now, I think he will understand what is the best form me :)
Heather26

Return to Guitars and Equipment