1959 CG for sale

1959 CG for sale

Postby BirdofParadise » Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:38 pm

BirdofParadise

Re: 1959 CG for sale

Postby Norm » Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:49 am

I've seen this on other sites. Here's the distillation I think I'm seeing.
It is a transitional early 1959 in that it has the zero fret but still has the 1958 version of Bigsby...it lacks the unpainted "vee cutout" we see today. The modern Bigsby is the last design feature incorporated in the single cutaway Gentleman in 1959.

The Supertron at the fingerboard is a modification. The guitar most likely did not come that way.
It has had extensive post factory modifications, the personal added inlays, the foolish addition and removal of backpad and resultant scars that are not in the scope of normal wear and tear.

It probably plays well being the venerable survivor it is.

Is it better made than the current models?

Probably not.

The current models are made by Terada, a company that appears to have studied mistakes other manufacturers made and eliminated them. The Brooklyn Gretsch guitars as well as the Baldwin Gretsch guitars had quality control issues in the past.

My personal opinion would be it is overpriced based on the added inlays and the foolishness of adding an after-market backpad.

...a footnote:
I played a lot of saloons in my day, standing up for four sets and NEVER did I ever hear a musician say he wished his guitar had a pad on the back.
...that's how it looks to me...The opinion expressed above is my own and does not necessarily reflect the views of this station. Your mileage may vary...

Audio samples: http://www.youtube.com/user/acountrygent/videos
That should do it.
Norm

Re: 1959 CG for sale

Postby BirdofParadise » Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:14 am

Thanks. I've heard from a number of folks and decided on a new one. Mike
BirdofParadise

Return to FOR SALE or TRADE