saving you tube

Watch and share videos from youtube

saving you tube

Postby Tompicks » Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:07 pm

Can someone remind me of the best way to save videos from youtube? It's a video I took of my child's school play which now exists only on youtube (accidently got deleted from my flip cam after uploading it) and I want to burn the video to a disk for relatives. Thanks.
Tom Redmond
Tompicks

Re: saving you tube

Postby RandeDager » Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:48 pm

Tom, I used to use dedicated software just for YouTube but saw on this forum about a year ago the suggestion of just using the most recent version of RealPlayer for recording. Now every time I watch any sort of online video (YouTube or otherwise), a RealPlayer icon pops up right above the video and invites the viewer to click on it to record it. Upon the initial installation of RealPlayer a "RealPlayer Downloads" folder is created within the "My Videos" folder within the "My Documents" folder and that's where all of the RealPlayer downloads are stored. I've been so thankful for the ability to do this. I remember being so depressed that not enough footage was ever recorded of Jerry Reed and now it's abundant!
The same is true for so many performances as well as educational and "how to" videos. When used "properly" YouTube is fantastic! Of course this is assuming that you're using the PC platform. If so, try installing the most recent version of RealPlayer. If you're using the Mac, I really don't know.

Rande
Rande
RandeDager

Postby Doug_H » Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:48 pm

Tom, another option is to use Mozilla Firefox. It has a plugin called 'DownloadHelper' that makes downloading audio/video from ANYWHERE really easy. One click...decide where to save it...click...done.
Doug_H

Postby jay » Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:49 am

Here is a free and easy alternative...requires no DLing of software, although you would have to use a FLV friendly viewer, like VLC Media Player (free). Windows Media Player does not play FLV files...but you could always get a converter program if you just have to watch it in WM player.

http://keepvid.com/
jay kantor
jay

Postby stambi » Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:35 am

I am using vdownloader. It is free and easy to use.
Boris Stambuk
stambi

Postby PhilHunt » Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:14 am

One way I copy videos off youtube is this: I have wi-fi at my house, I have an itouch, I bought a composite video cable off ebay, I take the itouch composite video cable plug it in the itouch then hook it up to my dvd recorder....then I pull up the video I want to record and then record it to dvd. Some videos I've already done (only because the youtube user wouldn't make me a copy to dvd) are: Chet & Les on the Today Show, Jerry's concert from 1992 (with the carnival lights in the background).
PhilHunt

Postby Randy Finney » Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:45 am

For Mac users...

While watching the video in Safari, choose "Activity" from the "Windows" menu.

Scroll through the list and find the largest file. Most of the files will be in the KB size, but there will likely be only one in the MB size. This is the video.

Double click it - it will download with a generic name such as "videoplayback". You can rename it once it has downloaded.

To watch the video, add ".flv" to the name. It will then open in Quicktime.

Randy
Randy Finney

Postby Tompicks » Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:22 pm

got it! ....used Doug's method with Firefox, thanks everyone.
Tom Redmond
Tompicks

Postby Tony Enamel » Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:18 pm

It looks like here are many people who record their children and accidentally delete the video from their cam afterwards ...
If it ain't got the groove, the bodies won't move.
Tony Enamel

Postby Tompicks » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:26 pm

Actually it was my nine year old who deleted his older brothers school play footage but I appreciate your skepticism. I am loving the flip camera, the video quality is really great. Here is the first video I recorded when I got it, just driving to the grocery store in the rain. Looks really good if you change the playback settings on youtube to 720p.

Warning, this video is OFF Topic!
Tom Redmond
Tompicks

Next

Return to Video Files