Paul Craft Passes Away

Welcome to the new Chetboard!

Paul Craft Passes Away

Postby dgallent » Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:45 pm

http://www.tennessean.com/story/enterta ... /17499253/

What a good guy....so sorry to see him pass. He performed many years at CAAS and was my dear friend.

Chet loved Paul and his writings, frequently calling Paul up to do a song at CAAS.

Don Gallent
Nashville
dgallent

Re: Paul Craft Passes Away

Postby bill_h » Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:28 am

Definitely wasn't expecting to find this out! I met Paul like 3 or 4 times. He never remembered meeting me before any of those times but would always talk to me. ( And I'm sure his health was fine back then. He probably didn't remember meeting me because he deals with so many different people.)

I always enjoyed talking to Paul what little time I got to spend with him. He even told me a Chet story that I can't post on the board :lol: !

Thanks for the link to the article about Paul. It contained some interesting things I never knew about him.

What a tremendous loss. He'll always be missed.
bill_h

Postby John Knowles » Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:11 pm

Todd and Kay Hallawell and I were at the table with Paul at the Songwriters Hall of Fame dinner. Bobby and Jeannie Bare were at our table, too. Paul was so happy to be inducted into the Hall of Fame. All of his buddies, and there were a lot, were coming up to him and congratulating him that night. It was very sad that he was rushed to the hospital before he could give his acceptance speech. He was planning on ad libbing.

At Paul's visitation and memorial service, a lot of people were talking about him being one of the first people they met in Nashville. I could tell that his legacy is a lot more than the songs… and the songs are amazing.

John Knowles
John Knowles

Postby dgallent » Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:14 pm

Paul wrote some really funny songs but "Keep Me From Blowing Away" which was recorded by Willie Nelson and Linda Ronstadt is one of my favorite of all time. "Take Another Swing At Me" is also a great one..recorded by Randy Travis and Thom Bresh (at the end of one of his Blue Goose segments).

Paul bought a couple of guitars from me and I always enjoyed drinking a cold one with him.

Paul affectionately referred to Tommy Emmanuel as a "ferret on steroids". A very funny guy but very smart.

Download some of these tunes on iTunes and remember a great guy and wonderful writer.

Chet called him when he was at RCA and said he had decided to sign Paul to a recording contract. Before they could get the paperwork, they fired Chet. Paul went on to have great career as a writer. He played dobro, wonderful 5 string Banjo, bass and finger style guitar. He played most of the instruments on his self produced recordings.

He will be missed but he left us his treasure of music....

RIP my friend.
dgallent

Return to Announcement and News