Gretsch Amp

Talk about guitars, amps and other gear.

Gretsch Amp

Postby albertgen » Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:08 pm

Anybody out there ever own a Chet Atkins Gretsch amp or any Gretsch amp for that matter? Al
albertgen

Re: Gretsch Amp

Postby denis » Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:18 am

Hello,

I own two Gretsch 6160 Chet Atkins amps, myself.

regards,

DENIS
denis

Postby Phil Waldron » Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:24 pm

Back in the 70's I owned a Gretsch "Nashville" amp. It was about 4 feet tall with 2-15 inch speakers, stereo and solid state. I cannot say it was my favorite amplifier ... was way too big and much too heavy and I didn't like the solid state sound. Ultimately I sold it and bought a pre-CBS Fender Deluxe which I have used ever since. This is my amp of choice.
Phil Waldron

Postby senojnad » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:32 am

I bought a Gretsch Executive amp (22W, 15") in 2008. To my ears it was the best amp I had ever heard short of a Standel 25L15.

I ended up selling it early in 2011, ONLY because a Standel 25L15 came into my life. I would have loved to keep both, but I could not justify the costs of having two amps that are so similar.

Sadly (VERY sadly) the Exec's are no longer made as you no doubt know. Used ones do show up now and then -- folks that own them don't seem to want to part with them. Apparently one can contact Mark Baier at Victoria Amps and he can build you one. Or you can contact Danny McKinney at Standel for a 25L15. They are expensive ($4G +) and there is frequently a long waiting list.
senojnad

Postby pattie surman » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:20 am

I own two ,the Executive made by Victoria,and a Twin Reverb from the 60"s. The Executive is one great amp. Stan.
pattie surman

Postby albertgen » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:48 pm

I always kinda wondered about them, I've had a few amps like Ampeg reverbrocket ll which my Dad bought me, and a Peavey Duece which I hated, a Music Man 112RP and a 112RD which were OK and some acoustic amps which I experimented with to try and get the right sound out of the nylon string Gibson. I also had a the Peavey 115 that Paul recommended with a JBL but I got rid of all of them and stuck with the Fender Deluxe Reverb which I started using in 1980. For some reason I never tried Gretsch or Gibson amps. I remember playing through some Silver Tone amps when I was a kid. At that time a lot of kids were using them. I remember at that time seeing a lot of Vox and Standel amps too. I would like to try one of those Gretsch Executive amps if I come across one. Al
albertgen

Return to Guitars and Equipment