A Fitting Tribute To The Great Doc Watson

Watch and share videos from youtube

A Fitting Tribute To The Great Doc Watson

Postby David Elliott » Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:37 am

Ran across this on YouTube and thought I'd share it.

I like to think this is how the electric-acoustic guitar should be played!

If you've never heard Tim O'Brien, enjoy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igdUPEHm5wk

David
David Elliott

Re: A Fitting Tribute To The Great Doc Watson

Postby dgallent » Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:35 pm

Thanks for posting that...really enjoyed...did not know Tim could thumbpick
dgallent

Postby dgallent » Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:46 pm

Great stuff....did not know that Tim O'Brien could thumb pick like that...good stuff.
dgallent

Postby smokymtguitar09 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:55 am

Very enjoyable video of Tim on Doc Watson. He has mastered Doc's thumb picking technique and does it while delivering his great story about visiting and performing with Doc Watson. Tim is a talented musician and laid back entertainer. I saw Tim many years ago 'live' at the Stompin' Grounds Hall in Maggie Valley where the Nashville Network was producing the bluegrass TV show 'Fire on the Mountain'. Doc and Merle also performed on one of those shows.
Ronnie Evans
smokymtguitar09

Postby David Elliott » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:50 am

dgallent wrote:Great stuff....did not know that Tim O'Brien could thumb pick like that...good stuff.

Hi Don,

Yep...I keep "discovering" talents in people that I had no idea they possessed! :) Here's another performance by Tim O'Brien that I'd never heard... Tim is not only an excellent guitarist, (and thumbpicker), he's damn good on the mandolin, and has what I would say is a VERY good voice! He's also not a "copy-cat", (notice the personal touches he puts into Deep River Blues)! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzWoagZ5 ... Ejrd2rpzsH

David
David Elliott

Postby Joe Diamond » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:36 am

Dave
I had computer problems and lost your email address and phone number. I wanted to see if you were coming back to Pa. to visit your kids. Can you send me yor email address?
Joe
Joe Diamond

Postby David Elliott » Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:22 pm

Hi Joe,
Long time no hear...
No, I won't be going to PA anytime soon. In fact, we just put one of my granddaughters on a plane yesterday, to return there!

My email address is: w6dle@ix.netcom.com .

I no longer play, (neuropathy in my hands), and as Chet said, the guitar has "forgotten me", but we never forget the guitar, do we?

David
David Elliott

Postby bill_h » Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:54 pm

What a nice thumb! Here's one that gets it. Instead of looking down his nose at Merle Travis because he thinks Merle is only capable of using his index finger he fully realizes the importance of the thumb while the guitar is not even his primary instrument and thumbpicking not even his primary style.

I've seen Tim at the Chet Convention as an attendee before and I even took his picture once at the world famous Station Inn in Nashville.

Back in the good ol' days when I "officially" lived in Nashville I tried to go to the Sunday night jam session at the Station Inn one time but they had a special event that night instead. It was more crowded than usual and since I had my guitar I was trying to find a place to stand where I would be out of everyone's way. I eneded up in the vicinity of Tim O'Briern and a couple of fans, One of the fans asked Tim if they could get a picture with him if they could find someone to take it. I was the first person they saw when they turned around and ended up taking the picture.

Another thing I learned back when I "officially" lived in Nashville is that Doc Watson was the King Of Bluegrass, Jimmy Martin's 2nd favorite guitar player, 2nd only to Merle Travis. I know this because I watched the fights with him one time at Municipal Auditorium . I don't remember if I sat next to him or he sat next to me but we got to where we would talk between rounds and eventually he introduced himself to me. Otherwise I would have never known who he was.

Naturally I asked hm about Joe Maphis, Hank Garland, and some of my favorite flatpickers when I found out who he was. Eventually he told me he was disappointed that I never asked about Merle Travis. He thought Merle was the best and raved about Doc too.

Hope my post didn't end up being more about some of my experiences than about Tim and Doc. I enjoyed the clip very much. Thanks David for posting. You sure do come up with some good ones!
bill_h

Return to Video Files