Tru-Arc briges

Talk about guitars, amps and other gear.

Tru-Arc briges

Postby thenorm » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:59 am

From time to time in the past year we have read good reviews about a bridge designed around the Gretsch 'bar bridge' such as issued on most Chet signature guitars.

Proteus, the designer, finally has a website for them

http://www.truarcbridgeworks.com/

I have one and they definitely improved my 6122's performance.
thenorm

Re: Tru-Arc briges

Postby Roger Hardin » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:22 am

I put a Brass Tru-arc on my 6120 and the tone is so much better than what I had with the tunamatic bridge. I am impressed.
Roger Hardin

Postby craigdobbins » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:57 pm

I've had the brass one on my CG for a while now, and I really like it.

Craig
craigdobbins

Postby thenorm » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:17 pm

It seems to wake the guitar up in a manner of speaking. You wouldn't think it would make that much difference but it does. For me the best part was the increase in sustain for songs like Tara's Theme. It does so something very positive to the overall guitar tone....

Mine is brass, btw...
thenorm

Postby Vidar Lund » Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:36 pm

Does it affect intonation in any way?
Vidar Lund

Postby thenorm » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:50 pm

Vidar, they're pretty much like the standard bar bridge except the metals are of a differen grade. They aooear to be the same size so they will be the same as far as intonation is concerned. Not all of the standard bar bridges follow the radius curve of the fingerboard but the Tru-Arcs do which helps make the guitar play better.
thenorm

Postby tyguy » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:03 pm

8-) No loose parts and material(no cast metal)improves the tone noticeably.I have Compton aluminum and stainless bridges which are comparable.They both play in tune wonderfully.There is more to intonation than checking with a meter at the twelfth fret.String hght,fret height,touch,temp,refraction and more(intonation has to be set for the individuals playing style).I press in toward the fret so tend to be a tad flat.Some folks pull away or press real hard which can make the note a little(or very) sharp with high frets.Tru-Arc and Compton bridges are not for the obsessive compulsive or anal retentive.In other words someone who worries and checks their intonation with a meter "a lot"(the 1 piece bridge is probably not gonn'a be perfect with the meter)I have a 3 barrel brass bridge piece Tele that is right on(sounding)and maybe better in tune with itself and other instruments than any git I own.In my opinion the Tru-Arc and Compton are the best bridges period.On the inexpensive Asian gits always check the intonation at the other end(the nut)as I've had to move 2 forward for folks.Being 10 cents off at the nut sounds really bad but probably won't be noticed until playing with other instruments. The Best, Ty M.
tyguy

Postby Roger Hardin » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:45 am

Does it affect intonation in any way?

Whatever you gain in intonation from a tunamatic is not worth the difference in the tone and sustain gained by the Tru-Arc. Just my 2 cents worth.
Roger Hardin

Postby Richard Hudson » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:11 pm

Being able to hear those subtle differences in pitch is sometimes more of a curse than a blessing, but most of us that play quite a lot are cursed that way. Sometimes the slightest difference in tuning or pitch drives me wild. We all know that the guitar is an imperfect instrument when it comes to tuning, so sometimes you can drive yourself crazy chasing those tuning/intonation issues, but we all like to be as close as possible. My feeling is that the curvature of the Tru Arc bridge being the same as the fretboard is an advantage over the stock bridge because the height of the strings is more even. My NC and the CGP both have Tru Arcs and I haven't noticed that the intonation is out that bad, but the tone and sustain is noticeably improved, as Roger said.

I would say that if the intonation is out enough to bother you after installing the Tru Arc and making every effort to correct it, then come compensation at the nut might be in order. I'm a nut anyway.
Richard Hudson

Postby RandeDager » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:20 pm

Richard, I'm with you. If there are going to be any imperfections in performance I want the only variable to be the quality of my playing. All of those other issues need to be taken care of first and I know it's difficult.

Rande
Rande
RandeDager

Next

Return to Guitars and Equipment