CAAS 2014

Welcome to the new Chetboard!

CAAS 2014

Postby Greg B » Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:12 pm

Hey everyone,
Planning to be at the convention this year for the first time. Looking forward to meeting folks from the board!
I do have some questions.
My wife is coming along and naturally we want to see a few sights around Nashtownville while we are there.
So my questions are;
Is 2 days an ample amount of time to spend at CAAS?
Do most of you carry a guitar with you?

I think she may end up shopping while I do some shopping at say, Kirk Sand's 8-) ....

Thanks
-Greg
Greg B

Re: CAAS 2014

Postby bill_h » Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:18 pm

In my opinion 2 days is not enough to spend @ CAAS. I usually do the full 4 days and have never been ready for it to be over on day 4. Even the couple of times I was lucky enough to do the John Knowles Warmup Workshop the two days before I still wasn't ready for it to be over after 6 days.

I'd say most bring their guitar although most probably leave it in their room while they attend shows/workshops. If you like to jam bring your guitar for sure! You'll have no problem finding people to jam with there.

Your wife should be able to find plenty of shopping @ Opry Mills Mall only a few miles away and you should be able to find plenty at the convention. If Kirk Sands don't end up getting your business there will be plenty of other vendors willing to separate you from your money.

I'm sure you'll have a great time there, especially with it being your first one.
bill_h

Postby Greg B » Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:43 pm

Thanks for the info Bill.
I guess it will have to be 2 days this year. Not enough days in the month for the full 4......

Looking forward to seeing everyone and stealing some licks!

-Greg
Greg B

Postby Steve Moran » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:06 am

Greg,
The years my son and I have been to the convention I really enjoyed leaving early Wednesday morning and coming back on Sunday. You'll catch most things going on. You can sign up for the open mic Thursday or Friday mornings if you feel like it. You'll see most if not all of the workshops. On your arrival day you'll have an extra hour to work with due to the time zone. Hope you have fun.
Steve
:P
Steve Moran

Postby Jo-AnneP » Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:36 pm

Some of the big players can only attend one day of CAAS due to other bookings, so if you only attend a couple of days, you could miss them. For example, Doyle Dykes was there only on Wednesday last time. Wednesday is usually my favorite day at CAAS because it has a distinctly different feel than the other days.

Also, the shows and workshops overlap. Going for more days gives a better chance of seeing everything that interests you.

Admittedly by Saturday night, I've had my fill and can do without the ol' boom-chuck for a couple of days. But only a couple. :D
Jo-AnneP

Postby jmm234 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:27 am

If you are looking for more to do in Nashville, just show your CAAS Badge and get half off of admission to The Musicians Hall of Fame & Museum. (No other discounts apply) Kids under 10 are free. We honor sidemen and session musicians of all genres. There is an exhibit that honors Chet that contains personal items from his workbench as well as two of his guitars. We also have instruments and studio gear that were used on hit records in Memphis, Detroit, Los Angeles, Muscle Shoals, New York, Atlanta, and Nashville. Have a great time at CAAS and swing by and see us while you are in town. We are located at 401 Gay Street/Musicians Way, Nashville, TN 37201. We are in the first floor of the Historic Nashville Municipal Auditorium. Our entrance is between 5th Avenue and James Robertson Parkway. Just a couple of blocks from the Chet Atkins Statue. Come See What You've Heard.

Jay McDowell
Multimedia Curator
The Musicians Hall of Fame & Museum
401 Gay Street/Musicians Way
Nashville, TN 37201
jmm234

Postby PhilHunt » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:41 am

I highly recommend the Musicians Hall of Fame. I went to it last month. They have Chet's Hascal Haile there and Duane Eddy's guitars and tons more. It is a whole lot better than the old location.
PhilHunt

Postby Greg B » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:41 am

Thanks Jay and everyone !
I will definitely try to make the trip to the museum.
Looking forward to seeing y'all. Leaving Knoxville in a few minutes!
Fighting a toothache. Not good so far away from home :(
Greg B

Postby Jack Miller » Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:55 pm

Is the Gretsch display available to the public without registering for the convention? I will be traveling through Nashville - unfortunately I can't stay for the day - and would like to check out the new Gretsch Rancher line.
Thanks in advance for anything you help me with.
Jack
Jack Miller

Return to Announcement and News