"B" Bender. Very cool!

Talk about guitars, amps and other gear.

"B" Bender. Very cool!

Postby Doug Working » Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:36 am

Just when you think you've seen it all!!

While we were practicing with our gospel group yesterday, one of our pickers brought out something I had never seen before, but man, it sure was cool, and I'd love to have one. But they apparently are quite rare. I was wondering if any body here has heard of it. It's called a "B bender". It's a device that's installed in the guitar, that works along with the shoulder strap. When you give the guitar a slight downward tug, the attachment point on the strap activates the bender, and whatever chord or note you are playing "bends" or whines like a steel guitar. Coolest thing I've ever seen! It's pretty simple in concept, but difficult to describe.

Anybody here ever heard or seen one?
Doug Working

Re: "B" Bender. Very cool!

Postby Ray Bohlken » Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:18 am

Doug, there are right many videos on Youtube featuring the B Bender. Just enter Fender Telecaster B Bender at the Youtube site and a bunch of links to videos will come up. Here are a couple of links about it. I always thought it would be fun to try one, but I've never had the opportunity.
Ray
Nashville B bender Telecaster
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KigM0F9heE8
ALbert Lee demo of a B bender
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8RPjjpbZhA
Ray Bohlken

Postby Doug Working » Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:48 am

Thanks! After I posted, I Googled out of curiosity, and I discovered they were not as rare as I had thought. But they sure sound sweet! That pedal guitar "whine" is so soulful that you feel like it could add so MUCH to your playing, expression wise.

The next time we get together for practice, I'm going to ask Don to let me give it a try. My fingers are just itching to try the thing.
Doug Working

Postby BillB » Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:43 pm

Yeah, Albert Lee is a master of the B-bender as well as others, including CGP Steve Wariner.

Bill B.
BillB

Postby Doug Working » Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:10 pm

I can't believe how far behind the times I am! Somebody slap me!!
Doug Working

Return to Guitars and Equipment