2014 CAAS Schedule

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

2014 CAAS Schedule

Postby billmoit » Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:00 pm

billmoit

Re: 2014 CAAS Schedule

Postby Tompicks » Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:19 pm

I will definitely be at the Audie Wykle/Eddie Estes session.
Tom Redmond
Tompicks

Postby billmoit » Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:56 pm

I found out from Mark Pritcher that Gretsch will be selling guitars direct. I want to try out a rancher and maybe sell my Taylor CE414 and buy the Gretsch. It all depends on the neck.

I like the schedule.
billmoit

Postby Eddie Estes » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:38 pm

Audie is great.
I'll have Paul Yandells thick bodied CG and we will have a surprise guest!

Eddie
Eddie Estes

Postby Len R » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:24 pm

Thanks for posting the schedule! I've been waiting to see it, it looks great.
So much looking forward to spending days immersed in some of the best guitar picking' in the world.
This will be my 5th CAAS in a row. Wish I had started years earlier.
I've been inspired by, and learned so much, from seeing and hearing the performers at CAAS.
Thanks to all who help make it happen.

Len
Len R

Postby Eddie Estes » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:52 pm

I remember the first time I went to the convention. It was 1986. My grandmother came with me that year. I have hoped that someone would pop up and say they took a lot of pictures that year and she might be in one.
They had a dinner with Chet. Chet took requests that year. Unfortunately I was on a shoe string budget that year and had one roll of film.
But it was a lot of fun and my grandmother got a nice trip somewhere she had never been.
Eddie Estes

Postby billmoit » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:17 pm

Our first one was 1992 at the Marriott. Wife was walking out of the main stage as Chet was walking in. They had a strong meeting if you get my drift. We have not missed more than 5 over the years.

My playing has improved from attending and also the equipment advice I have gotten from the board. While I did play open stage once I don't take my guitar out of the hotel room. The players are way over my head. Its a nice vacation for my wife and I.
billmoit

Postby Tompicks » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:33 pm

My first year was 1996. That year I met Marcel Dadi and he played my guitar only a few days before he died in the TWA flight 800 crash. I also spent a good amount of time chatting with Cyril Pahinui that year. That was also the year I went for two weeks and attended the National Guitar Summer Workshop at MTSU. John Knowles was our teacher there and one of my class mates was Sean Weaver - that guy can really play Chet well!! I slept in the college dorm and ate at the dining hall. Two other guys I remember from that class were George Simmons from NC and Rod Robin from Texas. NGSW also had a blues fingerstyle track taught by David Hamburger, but I wisely chose John's class. At the end of the NGSW week they have you play on stage at the Bluebird cafe. I remember being petrified as I tried to play "My Little Waltz". I made a little collage of memories from that year - see attached.Image
Tom Redmond
Tompicks

Postby Eddie Estes » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:19 pm

Shoot a lot of players are over my head too.
Played guitar with Richard Smith a couple times.
He is so good it makes me nervous. But we got to be good friends and I might attempt it if he has time.
Kind of like a rubber band airplane expert compared to a 747 pilot!
Eddie Estes

Postby kwarren » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:04 pm

My first attendance at CAAS was 1991. It was an unbelievable experience to say the least.

On the first or second day, I was sitting in a hallway playing through my arrangement of Mr. Sandman when a small group of gentlemen stopped to listen. One of the guys approached me and said he liked the arrangement. He didn’t have a guitar with him at that time so we traded my guitar back and forth and exchanged thoughts and ideas on the arrangement. He then shook my hand, said he enjoyed my playing, and he and his friends moved on down the hall. A few other guys then approached me and said, “Do you know how that is?.....It’s Marcel Dadi!” At that point a flood of nerves rippled through my body. I knew of Marcel but had never seen any pictures of him. Thank God I didn’t know it was him or I would never have been able to play a single note! :-/

This was also the year that I got to meet Chet for the first time. I was so nervous I could hardly speak. I shook his hand, told him what an inspiration he had been in my life and asked him sign my Gibson Chet CEC.

Tough both of these meetings were brief I consider them to be major high points of my life. My only regret is that I did not have a camera with me to capture these moments. :(

I consider myself very fortunate to have been able to attend many of those early conventions. Getting to see live performances by Chet, Jerry, Marcel, Tommy Jones, and so many other guitar greats has been and experience that is beyond words.

Kirk
kwarren

Next

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins