Tuck playing

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

Tuck playing

Postby Tompicks » Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:34 am

I stumbled across this video on Youtube tonight. I actually never saw him play but enjoyed chatting with him in the Belmont room in the late nineties. He had a great Merle Travis story that he once shared with me.

Tom Redmond
Tompicks

Re: Tuck playing

Postby Ray Bohlken » Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:13 pm

Great video...I'd never heard him play either. Thanks for sharing the link.
Ray
Ray Bohlken

Re: Tuck playing

Postby Pickin Palmer » Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:09 pm

'94 CAAS.JPG
Tuck at CAAS '94
Thanks for posting that video, Tom. Perfect time of year to remember him.

He was a special guy - musically, spiritually, and had an unlimited amount of Chet energy. I missed him like crazy the first few years he was gone. He showed me how to "run the Room (Belmont)" at CAAS. So, if any of youz/ya'll folks have complaints about the way it is run - you can blame it on Tuck. (lol) My favorite "instruction" from him about the Room was, "Hey, Parmer, I don't care who's on stage - if one of the "stars" come by and want to play - they're off!" Another favorite one was, "Chet didn't play it down there - he played it up here."

Before I found Billy Tustin, Terry Efaw and JD Norman right here in Columbus, Ohio - I used to drive an hour out to Dayton to pick up Chris Vickers - then, we'd drive 3 more hours to Louisville just to go steal some Chet licks at Tuck's garage on Belaire Ave on Friday evenings for his Kentucky Thumbpicker's Club weekly jam. He sure was a plethora of Chet's licks and tricks.

I'm so glad somebody saved a video of him playing..... Thanks,

Palmer
Pickin Palmer

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins