Special Acknowledgement of our Hero!

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

Special Acknowledgement of our Hero!

Postby DagerRande » Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:29 am

I just wanted to acknowledge that today our hero would have been 90 years old. He has been my hero for most of my life and will never lose that position in my thinking. Rest in peace, Mr. Atkins!
Rande Dager

We are all capable of doing more than we think we can!
DagerRande

Re: Special Acknowledgement of our Hero!

Postby PhilHunt » Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:12 pm

Hard to believe Chester would have been 90. If only he were still alive as well as many others we have lost. But it's a peaceful feeling to know that they are all picking together now. Can you imagine the music Chet, Paul, Jerry, Merle, Lenny, Django, Hank Garland, Odell Martin, and many more are making now!
PhilHunt

Postby Ray Bohlken » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:07 pm

DagerRande wrote:I just wanted to acknowledge that today our hero would have been 90 years old. He has been my hero for most of my life and will never lose that position in my thinking. Rest in peace, Mr. Atkins!

Amen.
Ray
Ray Bohlken

Postby Doug Working » Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:53 am

There is not a June 20'th that goes by where I don't think of Chet. I've had a lot of "heroes" in my life who inspired me since I was a boy. Jon Gnagy in drawing and art, Paul Winchell in ventriloquism, Bobby Fischer in chess, Mark Wilson and Doug Henning in magic and illusion, Mel Blanc and Daws Butler in my voices and vocal impersonations. Heck, when I was a little boy, Roy Rogers and the Rifleman, Chuck Connors were my first real heroes. But to my knowledge, none of them can pick a guitar the way Chet could! So at about age 12 or 13, after discovering that first Chet record on my mom and dad's dresser, my life was about to be changed FOR GOOD, and was about to take a direction I would never have imagined, thanks to the magic of Chet's fingers on the strings.

I would imagine if Chet had not encountered his illness, and if he were still with us today, at 90 the world would be doubly stunned at what an "older man" could do on a guitar!

I would imagine we'd have a couple dozen more Chet records to treasure, and perhaps he would outdo his duets with Knopfler and Tommy by recording with several other artists, and only the good Lord knows who they would have been.

But even someone as healthy as Jack Lalanne could only live into his 90's, so I guess Chet's leaving when he did was "meant to be".

But I sure miss him. We ALL miss him. Great heroes as him are as rare as hen's teeth, especially these days of a noticeably more corrupt world in which we reside.

But it's comforting to me to imagine how much more he might have accomplished had the good Lord seen fit to grant him a couple more decades.

Happy late b'day, Chet. No one will ever fill your shoes.
Doug Working

Postby Ken Stowell » Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:28 pm

AMEN, Doug, my feelings exactly. You know I was blessed and honored to have been born on this same date as my hero, Chet. It made it a special day for me, (no bragging intended). Just want to say thanks for all of your Youtube posts of Chet.
Ken Stowell

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins