guitar plekking

Welcome to the new Chetboard!

guitar plekking

Postby Steve Sanders » Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:17 pm

No, no, not guitar "picking", we all do that!! Who all amongst us has had their guitar "plekked"? If you did, was there any improvement? If so, was it worth the money? That being said, how much does it cost? As afforementioned, where does one go to get it done? Defense rests your honor!! Steve
Steve Sanders

Re: guitar plekking

Postby Richard Hudson » Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:29 pm

I have had two guitars plekked. It's probably not something that will be a daylight and dark difference, but it is noticeable. Norman Music Co in Norman has a plek machine. The last one I had done was $175. The plek machine does level the frets perfectly. The one thing they did not address for me was the zero fret on the NC. I didn't know at the time that they didn't, so I had to level the zero fret afterward. They also manually adjust the truss rod to your liking and dress the nut, which is very important with Bigsby usuage.

Most folks will say it's not worth it, but to me it is. I know my guitars' frets are perfectly level and the intonation is as near perfect as a guitar can be, all up and down the neck. Never any buzzes anywhere. That is important to me.

My Travis acoustic needs to be re-fretted and after I get that done it will go to the Plek shop. I would like to have my CE done, but I keep thinking I might win the lottery and get a Kirk Sand guitar. Incidentally, G&L guitars are plekked at the factory. Some of the other manufacturers do also, but I'm not sure which ones.

So I guess it all depends on you. If a hand fret leveling job is "close enough", then it's probably not worth it. The Plek machine is computer operated and the tolerance is within a tiny fraction of a mm.

Hope that helps.

Richard
Richard Hudson

Postby Jo-AnneP » Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:46 pm

Does the machine analyze the nut also or is that left up to the tech to decide how to dress?
Jo-AnneP

Postby Richard Hudson » Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:02 pm

Jo-Anne, it's been a while since I had mine done, but I'm pretty sure the machine measures pretty much everything, including the nut. All of the measurements are precise and with very close tolerance.
Richard Hudson

Return to Announcement and News