Trying to get my guitar education.

Talk about guitars, amps and other gear.

Trying to get my guitar education.

Postby Doug Working » Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:16 pm

Long story short, I'm a decent picker, but my knowledge of various guitar models is weak. Kind of embarrassing, it is, but I'm willing to learn.

The guitar I now have is an Epiphone Chet Atkins nylon string electric, with the classical fingerboard.

I saw it in the music store years ago and it looked so PERTY sitting there. I had to have it. And now I do. But I want to learn more. I'd like to find out how it ranks quality wise in the minds of other players. I'd like to find out how many Chet nylon string electrics were designed, and which ones Chet actually preferred and played.

I'd like to know which models players consider top of the line.

In trying to get information, I talked to the owner of the local music store, and he said Epiphone only made ONE Chet nylon string electric. But I think he's wrong.

Can anybody help me to get educated, here?

Doug
Doug Working

Re: Trying to get my guitar education.

Postby Norm » Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:03 pm

The store owner is probably correct. I think the epiphone run was the only one they made for epiphone. It didn't do as well as the Gibson variants because the Gibsons had the individual volume controls for each string.

As for some sort of poll as to which guitar is 'best' I think once you get past three or four hundred dollars for an instrument it is a matter of taste and usage. If you want to be encyclopedic about guitars like some people are about baseball stats I suppose it would make a good hobby but Paul used to say the time is better applied practicing.

I have an old single cut Gretsch CG. If I hit the lottery and had the room I would get a Super 400 with P-90 pickups, a Byrdland, a Les Paul and one of the better Gibson electric classics (the one with the fleur de lis inlays on the top.

But I also know I would do most of my playing on my old Gent. Oh...forgot... a 6122-59 might edge my old guitar out...

No Fenders for me. Never met a Fender guitar I liked.

But that's all my slant on things. Someone else would come up with an entirely different list.
Meanwhile, I'll settle for the only electric I have... I can only play one at a time.
...that's how it looks to me...The opinion expressed above is my own and does not necessarily reflect the views of this station. Your mileage may vary...

Audio samples: http://www.youtube.com/user/acountrygent/videos
That should do it.
Norm

Postby Doug Working » Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:01 am

Norm, I think I agree with you on hitting the lottery. I think if I hit it (which will never happen because I don't play!) I would want to buy every Chet guitar that exists! (Just to have fun!)

The Super Chet (I believe he played it on "Me And My Guitar") looks sweet with all those control knobs. I always wondered what each of those knobs do. Looks like so much fun to play with!

The guitar I now have says CEC on it, and it has two knobs. One for volume and one for tone. You say they have one with a volume control for each individual string?
Doug Working

Postby Richard Hudson » Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:37 am

Doug, the Gibson CE/CEC does have individual volume controls for each string, but the controls are hidden. It's kinda like setting it up to suit your tastes. You have to remove the back plate to access them. I played with them when I first got my guitar, but once I got it set like I wanted it I haven't touched it since.
Richard Hudson

Postby guitarchuck » Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:14 pm

Doug,
Epiphone made the Chet Atkins CEC solid body electric nylon in Korea and then later in China, I believe. The Korean models were the better of the 2. They cataloged a CE model with a narrow neck, although I've never actually ran across one. They also made a Studio model without the fake soundhole, those are rare and hard to find.
The Gibson is a more desirable guitar.
(Edit - I was wrong, the later ones were made in Korea also, not China)

(Also, the early models were passive electronics and the later models used a 9v active electronics)
Last edited by guitarchuck on Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
guitarchuck

Postby Doug Working » Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:42 pm

I'm still not exactly sure which model mine is, but if I had an e-mail to send it to, I could send you guys a photo and or a video and maybe you guys could set me straight. I would truly appreciate that.

Be that as it may, I posted above about my many woes with the input jack. I sure hope someone can help me, because taking photos of the guitar is about the only thing it's good for right now. :(

Doug
Doug Working

Postby guitarchuck » Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:57 pm

Got your email Doug, answer sent.
Last edited by guitarchuck on Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guitarchuck

Postby Doug Working » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:16 pm

Ok. I'll send one to you, and I appreciate it!

Doug
Doug Working

Postby Doug Working » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:22 pm

I sent it.
Doug Working

Postby guitarchuck » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:34 pm

Doug,
Yours is the final version of the 3 that Epiphone made. I'm curious, what is the width of the fretboard at the nut? I'm sending a more details to your email.
guitarchuck

Next

Return to Guitars and Equipment