Nagasaki Counterpoint?

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

Nagasaki Counterpoint?

Postby LMark » Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:03 pm

Has anyone published a TAB for the counterpoint-sounding run in measures 5-8 of Nagasaki? I want to study on that one a little bit. Thx, LMark
LMark

Re: Nagasaki Counterpoint?

Postby emjaybee94 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:42 am

Marcel Dadi published a tab for that, which came as a booklet enclosed with one of his LPs, but I can't remember what the LP was called. I think my copy of the LP was sold in a car boot sale some years ago, but I did keep the tab booklet, unfortunately for you I can't remember where It is at the moment. I've played that run for years, but it's not easy; requires a lot of practice. The chords in the middle section are a little special as well, especially the right hand fingering.

I'll see if I can write down my version for Tabledit for those bars .... not sure if that's how Chet played it though.

Regards
Mike
emjaybee94

Postby Pickin Palmer » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:39 am

Yea, I'm not sure where He played it, either - but, this has always worked for me, Mark:

---7----2----3------------0-------------------0--------6---5----3-------------
---------------------4----------0----1----2-------2----5--------3--------3----
----------------------------------------------------------5--------4--------5----
---5----1----2-------------------------------------------0--------5--------4----
---------------------2-----3----2----0----1----------------------------5-------
--------------------------------------------------------------------3-------------

Palmer
Pickin Palmer

Postby LMark » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:18 am

Thanks Palmer! (and, in advance, Mike!) It looks like the counterpoint comes on the 7th pair in the run. "Perfect" Chet, of course. When a similar run occurs later in the piece, in a higher position, I don't seem to hear the counterpoint. I first noticed the lower position viewing the masterful work of Jim Nichols. LMark
LMark

Postby emjaybee94 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:41 pm

That's pretty close to what I play; the only difference is the second pair of notes, I play: 2nd fret, 1st string and 4th fret 3rd string together.

Regards
Mike
emjaybee94

Postby emjaybee94 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:50 pm

Sorry, that should have read : 1st string 2nd fret with 4th string 4th fret.

Regards
Mike
emjaybee94

Postby Steve Sanders » Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:40 pm

I just learned a different way to play this run from the way I've been playing it for many years. Same notes just up on the 7th fret with lots of open strings. One thing I think I'm hearing is the 4th set of double-notes to my ear is the low note being a "D" and the high note being a D sharp. I know it sounds "dissonant". So I fired up the little ol' slower-downer doo-hickie and played'er back at pitch slow and then reaaaaaaaal slow and I sure think it's a D-bass and a D-sharp high note. Is anybody else out there hearing the same thing? Maybe I've been abducted by aliens and they messed with my hearing!! Could be NSA put a nano-bot in my ears just to listen in! Is this covered by Obamadon'tcare? I'm O.K. and so am I! Steve
Steve Sanders

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins