Chet with Homer & Jethro, 1949

Watch and share videos from youtube

Chet with Homer & Jethro, 1949

Postby craigdobbins » Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:35 pm

This one is hard to pull off. (Guitarists: pun intended.)

"Chester B. smokes logs." -Jerry Reed Hubbard
craigdobbins

Re: Chet with Homer & Jethro, 1949

Postby DagerRande » Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:55 pm

You know, the first time I ever saw Chet was while I was stationed at Ft.Benning, GA in 1969 and he was performing in Atlanta with Boots and Floyd but the opening act was Homer & Jethro and their first song was a hilarious version of "Girl from Ipanema". Chet was always last on those shows and when it was finally his turn and the curtain opened up, he had his back to the audience and began playing "Mrs. Robinson" and then turned around to face the audience and finished.

I was 20 then and got to talk to him and got his autograph after the show. I never saw Homer & Jethro again.
Rande Dager

We are all capable of doing more than we think we can!
DagerRande

Re: Chet with Homer & Jethro, 1949

Postby Doug Working » Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:46 pm

Craig, on any other than a board of guitar pickers, that pun would have gone to total waste, man!

But here on the Chetboard I can assure you it's really appreciated. Made me smile, at least! 
Anyway, Chet had so many aspects of his technique that are second to none. His ability with slurs was one of them. Like the many facets of a diamond, every facet of his playing ability was synergetic in making anything he played sound fabulous.

But as far as pull-offs go, Craig, I have your CD's, and I KNOW you have the chops to pull off those pull offs, am I not right? 

The transcription to the tune is in one of the Chet books I purchased if memory serves. Of course, I would have to double check. It was either Main Street Breakdown or Gallopin' on the Guitar that I remember being transcribed. 

Craig, I want to tell you that I really enjoy your playing, and I'm busily trying to work out the tunes you did on your Gospel CD, by ear. It is quite the challenge, but I play lead  in a group called the Almond Branch and we minister in Nursing Homes and such, not to mention I also get to accompany a small ensemble and do some Solos in church. So I'm game for all the gospel song arrangements I can muster. And I apologize for changing the subject!

One more thought before I go. These pull-offs are definitely 100% pure vintage Chet, but in my mind I'm not sure if they are the most difficult thing Chet ever pulled off. (There I go again!)

In listening to his records over the years and trying to acess "difficulty rating" of his tunes, I think of his version of "Minute Waltz",  or "Get On With It", or maybe a couple tunes from his Carribean Guitar album. Or how about Choro Da Saudade? 

Did he once mention "Take Five" as being extremely difficult? 

Doug
Doug Working

Return to Video Files