Chet and Hank Garland

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

Chet and Hank Garland

Postby Tom Keller » Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:17 pm

I never read anything about Chet and Hank Garland having played very much together. Did they simply not get together during this time period?

Tom
Tom Keller

Re: Chet and Hank Garland

Postby bill_h » Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:47 pm

I could be mistaken but it seems like I recall that Chet had used Hank for studio work on occassion. I'm sure they were acquainted but as far as the two of them playing or recording together I've never heard anything, I wouldn't be surprised if they both played on the same recording session a time or two. Sorry I couldn't be more help.
bill_h

Postby PhilHunt » Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:00 pm

One of my favorite albums of all time is "The Worst of Homer & Jethro". It's hard to tell if it is Chet or Hank Playing the leads on certain tune. It's obvious Chet is playing the thumb stuff on "Hucklebuck" but the other stuff it sounds a bit like Hank on the lead stuff. If anyone doesn't have this LP I highly recommend to get it....it is an all around great LP. Almost every tune is great. It's when Homer & Jethro were in their prime! This is one LP I wish someone would put on cd.
PhilHunt

Postby Hendrik » Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:15 am

Phil, it looks like all the songs from that album are on the Slaughter the Standards cd.
Hendrik

Postby Norm » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:51 am

Hank and Chet liked each other but it may have been just busy schedules that kept them from playing much together. Chet was still getting established as a solo artist at the time and his use of other high profile artists on his albums was still in the future. By the time he started record collaborations Hank was laid up and unable to play.

Re: the Homer and Jethro titles....

The did a great album called "Songs My Mother Never Sang" and they used an extremely well versed flatpicker but I think it was George Barnes, not Hank. Some of those cuts are on the songlist in the link
...that's how it looks to me...The opinion expressed above is my own and does not necessarily reflect the views of this station. Your mileage may vary...

Audio samples: http://www.youtube.com/user/acountrygent/videos
That should do it.
Norm

Postby pattie surman » Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:44 pm

Did you play on Don Gibson's "Sea Of Heartbreak"? "Yeah,me and Hank Garland.We got so Hank and I would play duets". What was it like working with Hank Garland? "Old Hank,you know, he'd play harmony to anything I could do, first take, Hank was the type of guy where you could play a lick and it would come back at you like an echo. He copied everything he heard. You'd do "brrr." and he'd do "brrr" he'd do the same thing." Throughout the late 50's Atkins played lead guitar on Everly Brothers hits such as 'Bird Dog"and "Dream" later Hank Garland worked with Chet, Phil and Don on other sessions. From "Guitar Player" October 1979. Stan.
pattie surman

Postby DWolfram » Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:11 am

As I followed Chet he would mention Hank Garland on occasion. I don’t remember exactly what he said but he admired him very much and held his guitarmanship in high regard. Here’s a utube clip of Hank playing Sugarfoot rag:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCpciGnCMmw

Some years back I took a picture of a picture of Hank, Chet and the Everly Brothers at what looks like Studio B. The picture was in a local music store and the owner said Hank Garland’s brother gave it to him from Hank. You can see how it’s autographed.
Garland-Everly Brothers001 (2).jpg
Chet, Hank and the Everly Brothers

Hank lived with his brother across the river in Orange Park, Florida. This was way after Hank was in the so-called car accident and his health had deteriorated quite a bit. I found this out thru a story in the local newspaper.

Not too long ago I saw the movie Crazy based on the life of Hank Garland. Hank was depicted as a man who heralded songwriters and musicians rights. So much so he became a great annoyance to the record producers.
There was a 20 second scene where the actors portraying Hank and Chet were seated together in a recording studio. They picked something but not anything I recognized.

David
Jacksonville, Fl
DWolfram

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins