Traveling with a Guitar: Check it or Carry it On

Talk about guitars, amps and other gear.

Traveling with a Guitar: Check it or Carry it On

Postby PhilHunt » Wed May 28, 2014 4:42 pm

I will be flying to Nashville next week and wonder if anyone has ever had an experience where the airlines would not let you carry it on. I read on line that IT IS THE LAW that you can now carry a guitar on. I would hate to check it. Anyone got any ideas?
PhilHunt

Re: Traveling with a Guitar: Check it or Carry it On

Postby Terry Tolley » Wed May 28, 2014 5:52 pm

Everytime I have travelled - I was denied my request to carry it on. The last time this happened, I just got a refund of the ticket, after some complaining to 2 different supervisors. I wish you better luck!
Terry Tolley

Postby John Knowles » Wed May 28, 2014 6:58 pm

Phil,

There is a new law that requires an airline to allow your guitar as carry-on as long as there is room in the overhead. Here's a link to the relevant portion of the law plus some tips.

http://aristake.com/?post=87

I would print out that part of the law to show anyone who questions you. That said, I've had great luck on Southwest. I improve my odds by purchasing an "Early Bird" pass. That gets you closer to the front of the boarding line which means you get on before the overhead bins are full. Your guitar will count as your carry-on so be prepared to check your other stuff.

Looking forward to seeing you.

John
John Knowles

Postby DagerRande » Thu May 29, 2014 6:40 pm

Phil, I too have had no problem with taking a guitar on board and putting it in the overhead compartment and checking my other things. I've also seen people not fit things above and have them put in a closet near the front.
Rande Dager

We are all capable of doing more than we think we can!
DagerRande

Postby BillB » Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:29 pm

We flew to Pittsburgh this weekend, and I had to take my Maton to play for a Celebration of Life for my wife's uncle. On both the trip up and back, they put my guitar in the storage closet by the door. That was with American Airlines.

Bill B.
BillB

Return to Guitars and Equipment