The Scales Chet Played in "Cattlle Call"

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

Re: The Scales Chet Played in "Cattlle Call"

Postby Doug Working » Sun May 25, 2014 1:19 am

Ok. I think I know what you're referring to now. Like some of those pretty runs in "My Little Waltz". I had them
memorized once, back when I used to play the tune. I think I learned it from a John Knowles book. Just never knew the name for it. But it's fun to play, though. Let's you watch your fingers do amazing things.

That's a whole lot different than the cross picking demonstration I turned up from Google.
Doug Working

Postby emjaybee94 » Sun May 25, 2014 7:00 am

Hi Doug,
I've worked the first two runs out but the third is a bit more complicated. I need to listen closely and get it down on Tabledit, then see if it sounds right. It might take me a day or so as I'm not very fluent in Tabledit. If it's worth learning I tend to hold all my arrangements in my head, but if you send me an email to barker62@btinternet.com
I'll get a copy to you. "Cattle Call" is a lovely tune, but I've never really attempted to play it because I only play solo and the tune only really works with a backing track/band.

Regards
Mike
emjaybee94

Postby Doug Working » Sun May 25, 2014 9:09 am

Wow! Thank-you!

Yeah, that third one is the trickiest! How did you figure any of then out? I couldn't do it even when slowing the record down. They are so elusive.

Could you explain to me what tabledit is?
Doug Working

Postby emjaybee94 » Sun May 25, 2014 10:54 am

Tabledit is, IMHO, the best Tablature editing program ... and it keeps getting better. If you've ever seen the tabs at Jack Baker's site, they're written on Tabledit. If you haven't got it you can get a demo version to play back tabs, just Google "Tabledit". Not sure what the price is for the paid version now, but it's a one off cost .... any program updates are free.

As for knowing what those runs are, I've been listening to them for more than 40 years and, although I have tremendous problems playing them, describing them to people isn't too much of a problem. I've probably heard them hundreds of times so the ear is tuned in. That third run in "Cattle Call" is rather special though. While we're on the subject of octave runs, Chet uses similar tricks in "When You Wish Upon A Star" and "Hellacious.
Regards
Mike
emjaybee94

Postby Doug Working » Sun May 25, 2014 11:00 am

In church at the moment. Will reply after church gets out. :)
Doug Working

Postby Doug Working » Sun May 25, 2014 5:54 pm

Yep! In fact, Chet had a whole suitcase full of those tricks! Enough to challenge me for a lifetime! 

That's what makes me listen to his CD's hundreds of times, never getting tired of it. I have everything except for the one he did with Lenny Breau, and "After The Riot At Newport" As far as I know, those are the only ones I'm missing. 

Anyway, listening to Chet is kind of like watching the Andy Griffith Show. You know how you can watch those old Andy re-runs over and over and they never get old? Chet's records are the same way. (To me at least). 

Many, many times I'll sit there and listen to him play, and a lick will run past my ears like lightening, and I'll think "Now how in the WORLD did he pull that off?"

His playing is a source of constant amazement to me. Of

If you ask me, Chet was BORN, as in Divinely appointed to play guitar. There's just no other way to explain how he could be so bloody good! 
Practice? Sure. But I l practice, you practice, we ALL practice, but we're nowhere as good as Chet. It takes more than practice. It takes Divine commission. 

It's a Sovereign thing.

Anyway, as far as Tabledit, I think I know what it is. Is it the program that not only plays tabs, but it diagrams out the fret board, and it illustrates the finger placements in real time as it goes through the tune?

If that's what you are talking about, I used to have that before my job went to Mexico and I lost my home and p.c. 

Was that it?

If so, here comes the million dollar question: Is it available for I-phone??

I-phone is all I have right now. Since I'm pretty much homeless, and have no income, a real p.c. is not in the cards, as far as I can see.

But if I can get that program for I-phone, I am going to be an extremely happy camper and all around Chet fan.
Doug Working

Postby Ray Bohlken » Mon May 26, 2014 10:46 am

Oddly enough, Doug, there's a version of "Cattle Call" on Standard Brands, too. I had never heard the other version until I checked out your post on Youtube. Here's a link to the Standard Brands version. It's neat, too.
Ray

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xE2NvoBF1tw
Ray Bohlken

Postby Doug Working » Mon May 26, 2014 11:08 am

Thanks for the great link! Chet's knowledge of CHORDS has always amazed me! And another thing that amazes me is how he was able to take any song and seemingly play it a dozen different ways, according to the mood. I've never known ANY Guitar player in history who was able to do that to the degree that Chet did. His knowledge of the finger board was WAY more profound than we can even imagine.

Standard Brands is one of maybe two or possibly three Chet records that I don't have, at the most. Other than that small handfull, I think I have every record he made, including 45's and studio out-takes and alternate, unreleased cuts. 

But I'd give anything to get my hands on Standard Brands. 
Doug Working

Postby emjaybee94 » Tue May 27, 2014 1:41 pm

Doug,

I'm afraid Tabledit isn't available for iPhones or Tablets. There are some tab programs for that genre, but not very good and difficult to use. I'll write out the scales in "Cattle Call" for you using the String/Fret system and some explanation. I'm a bit busy at the moment, but I'll do it as soon as possible.
I've got both Standard Brands and After The Riot At Newport on CDs, but today I've done a trawl of EBay and Amazon and can't see either of them. I consider Standard Brands one of the top 5 albums that Chet brought out, but it's mainly down to Lenny Breau, so you could say it's one of Lenny's best albums.

Regards
Mike
emjaybee94

Postby Doug Working » Tue May 27, 2014 1:55 pm

I'm very grateful for all your help.
So Lenny took the lead on most of the tunes on Standard Brands?
Doug Working

PreviousNext

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins