Chet Resonator guitar story

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

Chet Resonator guitar story

Postby conecaster » Sun May 04, 2014 6:14 pm

I just built a new Website and included two pages on Chet and Nato.

http://www.mcgillguitars.com/#!chet-and-nato/c1yyj

I have much content on the site, Videos of Klugh, Peter White and Marc Antoine,

Paul McGill
conecaster

Re: Chet Resonator guitar story

Postby Tomchet » Mon May 19, 2014 11:40 pm

Wow, that is quite some website you have got there, Paul.

You know, many guitar makers give away guitars to certain players or they claim that this or that guitarist uses their guitars. But YOU have gone the extra step by providing actual proof that your artists in fact really DO really play your guitars!!! Very impressive. If guys like Marc Antoine, Earl Klugh and Peter White choose to play McGill guitars, that's a damn powerful statement for anyone who is looking to buy a guitar but is undecided about what make guitar to buy!!
Anyone who plays a McGill Super ACE or Super Steel will become intoxicated in just a few moments and will have to have one (or both).

My favorite resonator guitar pieces go back a ways to Nato playing "Begin the Beguine" (and lots more) and Chet playing "Josephine" and "Me and Bobby McGee" and "Understand Your Man". Those pieces can all be found on YouTube.
Tomchet

Postby smokymtguitar09 » Tue May 20, 2014 6:36 am

Paul,
You have a very impressive and enjoyable website to visit and explore more of the wonderful guitars you make and the how they sound in the hands of various players. I enjoyed listening, viewing, and reading through the entire website. Thanks for posting it and for making such classic guitars!

Ronnie Evans
Franklin, NC
Ronnie Evans
smokymtguitar09

Postby conecaster » Tue May 20, 2014 11:45 am

smokymtguitar09 wrote:Paul,
You have a very impressive and enjoyable website to visit and explore more of the wonderful guitars you make and the how they sound in the hands of various players. I enjoyed listening, viewing, and reading through the entire website. Thanks for posting it and for making such classic guitars!

Ronnie Evans
Franklin, NC

I'm glad you enjoyed it Ronnie,

I look forward to having John Standefer featured on the site with his Super Steel soon.

Thank you,

Paul
conecaster

Postby Doug Working » Tue May 20, 2014 11:54 am

I remember the first time I heard Chet on a resonator and the amazing "soulful" sound he coaxed out of it. I since have noticed, since the days of "Guitar Country" and "More Of That Guitar Country" that Chet used it a lot on "sad" songs, (albeit not exclusively) and in those tunes he seemed to make the guitar "cry" or "weep", which in turn had the same effect on sentimental me.

Isn't there a famous song about a guitar "weeping", but in the song, I never hear the guitar crying!

Maybe it's because they just didn't have the chops to make a guitar do that the way Chet did.
Doug Working

Postby Richard Hudson » Tue May 20, 2014 12:43 pm

George Harrison's big song of While My Guitar Gently Weeps may be the one of which you are thinking.
Richard Hudson

Postby Doug Working » Tue May 20, 2014 7:58 pm

Yes, that was it! Thank-you. All through the song, I keep expecting someone to DEMONSTRATE the "weeping guitar" sound to go along with the title of the tune, but it never happens.

I guess the problem is I'm a little spoiled by Chet.
Doug Working

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins