I don't know why I pick such difficult songs to play.

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

I don't know why I pick such difficult songs to play.

Postby Cedarview » Thu May 15, 2014 1:28 pm

I have a reel to reel tape that my father used to play that had Chet Atkins on it. He began one of his songs with a little conversation with the audience. He said something to the effect of: I don't know why I pick such difficult songs to play. If anyone remembers, or knows, the album this is on I would appreciate it. This is from my childhood so I am not familiar with anything else about the song, except this small quote. I do know it is when Chet Atkins played with Arthur Fiedler and the Boston Pops. (Sorry about my spelling if it is incorrect.) I am very interested in acquiring this music if it is available. Any response with information would be appreciated! Hope to hear from someone soon! Thank you!
Carol Anne Hamilton
Cedarview

Re: I don't know why I pick such difficult songs to play.

Postby awykle » Thu May 15, 2014 6:14 pm

Carol,

I remember it clearly for some reason. It was a PBS special with the Boston Pops. He said it I believe when introducing the song Misonera by Jorge Morel. I taped it off the tv when I was pretty young on a reel to reel too, but I don't know what ever happened to the tape. Someone here on the Chetboard may have copy of that show they would share with you. I'd love to hear it again myself.
awykle

Postby Richard Hudson » Thu May 15, 2014 9:57 pm

I remember him making a comment similar to that on the instructional video The Guitar Of Chet Atkins. I believe he was talking about the tune Happy Again in that instance.
Richard Hudson

Postby Ray Bohlken » Thu May 15, 2014 10:22 pm

I don't know if this will help or not, but here is a link to Chet's Album with the Boston Pops and Arthur Fielder. You can listen to all of the songs and maybe you'll remember the song you're talking about. I don't think Chet actually speaks during this album. so it may not contain the song you're looking for. I hope it helps, though.
Ray

http://jukebox.au.nu/instromania/instro ... s_country/
Ray Bohlken

Postby Terry Tolley » Thu May 15, 2014 11:23 pm

I have that video! I believe it was the tune Young Thing that he was talking about due the difficult fingering on the bridge where there is a boogie-woogie bass part going on with his index and middle finger while a reptetive melody is going on with the ring finger and pinkie at the same time! By the way, Richard, I thorougly enjoy your musical posts on those occasions when you share. Keep on pickin'!
Terry Tolley

Postby Richard Hudson » Fri May 16, 2014 7:28 am

You're right. It was Young Thing. I know that is not the instance the OP referred to, but sometimes Chet would use the same phrase again when he was talking.

Thank you for the nice compliment, Terry.
Richard Hudson

Postby bill park » Fri May 16, 2014 8:57 am

Carol Anne -
Chet said "I don't know why I select such difficult tunes to play when I perform, but I always do because it's a challenge. And sometimes it turns out to be amateur night and I come in last, you know". I remember that well. He said it after performing "Blue Angel" on the August 8, 1972 appearance of "Evening at Pops - The Pops Goes Nashville" on PBS. Here's the original TV Guide description of the show:
The next tune he played was "Misionera", and he introduced it by saying "I hope you enjoy it...I hope I can play it."
Thanks,
Bill
bill park

Postby awykle » Sun May 18, 2014 4:10 pm

That's it! I had that page torn out with the reel to reel tape, in the box!
awykle

Postby emjaybee94 » Sun May 25, 2014 7:14 am

Chet plays that tune on UTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJRlgRxVnR0&hd=1
I'm sure I've seen the tab of it somewhere.
Mike
emjaybee94

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins