Chet, Jerry, Paul, & Mark

Watch and share videos from youtube

Chet, Jerry, Paul, & Mark

Postby guitarchuck » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:23 pm

I ran across this one again last night. I think it's a great one, by the great ones! Chet playing his Gibson Tennesseean with the bass strings too, something you don't see too often.
guitarchuck

Re: Chet, Jerry, Paul, & Mark

Postby Richard Hudson » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:51 pm

That was a good one, Chuck. Chet's touch and tone still sends me into dreamland. Musicianship was in abundance on that stage. The triple guitar harmony at the end was great.
Richard Hudson

Postby rhirvine » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:30 pm

What a gem that performance is! Thanks for posting it. I wonder when it happened? I love the fact that I'm getting to see and hear my guitar heroes in vintage and present day performances thanks to the internet. Usually performances that I never got to see. I always looked hard for Chet appearances in the old TV guides and etc. We couldn't get cable in my neighborhood before the early nineties so I couldn't get the old Nashville channel which probably had a lot of great guitarists and other musicians performances. You might say I was culturally disadvantaged in those days.

Rich Irvine
rhirvine

Postby David Elliott » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:16 pm

Thanks Chuck, that is a good one!

Here's another old clip from YouTube of Chet and Paul that I haven't heard in a long time...

Excellent picking!

David

David Elliott

Postby Vidar Lund » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:48 pm

Here´s another good one with Chet, George Benson and Earl Klugh. Chet plays his Gretsch Super Axe 7680 that we don´t see and hear very often.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzitMFEy0ak
Vidar Lund

Postby David Elliott » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:14 pm

Hi Vidar,
Yeah, Chet didn't use that guitar all that often. I have one of those, it's a great little guitar, but not a real good choice for fingerstyle playing (in my opinion). Neck is too narrow, and the pickups are located where your thumbpick 'clicks' on one of them, if you're not careful and the shank on your pick is too long, that is, you've got to hold your hand at a little different angle... Great jazz guitar though. I think the idea behind it was to compete with the Gibson LP's but it never went over very big. It's a beautiful guitar, very modernistic in looks and design, but I think kind of an 'overkill' with all the built-in effects etc. It certainly refutes the old 'myth' about all the 'Baldwin era' guitars being junk, as it's built to the highest of standards, just like the SuperChet! :)
David
David Elliott

Postby Tony Enamel » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:19 pm

Great!

I think the American Music Shop performance (or performances? There seem to be more than just one) of Chet and Jerry were better than the one from the Bottom Line that was published on video/DVD.

Cheers,

Ingo
If it ain't got the groove, the bodies won't move.
Tony Enamel

Postby Vidar Lund » Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:06 am

Hi David,
Chet made every guitar he played sound like a "Chet guitar", including the Super Axe even though it differed from the other CA guitars. Quoting from MMAG: "In 1976, we developed the prototype for the CA Super Axe, which was a genuine solid body guitar from the nut to the tailpiece. It was my attempt to design a guitar incorporating the standard effects needed for contemporary playing, aimed at rock and performance players. It had built-in compressor - sustain and phase shift units with top mounted controls, and a solid post-mounted bridge to maximize sustain. We used humbucking DiMarzio pickups to get a more contemporary sound on the Super Axe. Though it wasn´t as well received as my other Gretsch guitars, I actually like the Super Axe better than most of them for performing". Being a solid body guitar it must be quite heavy I guess.
Vidar Lund

Postby David Elliott » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:47 am

Vidar,
You know, I have never weighed this guitar, and was under the impression it was a 'semi' hollow body, as it doesn't feel particularly heavy when holding it. I'll have to do that sometime! :)

http://www.guruguitarshop.com/Gretsch/G ... 201010.htm

David
David Elliott

Postby tyguy » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:18 pm

Chuck,thanx so much for posting this vid.Don't see many vids with Chet playing the Tennessean.Mine doesn't sound that good!Chet had great bass tone also.I was gonna put a Bigsby on my Tennessean today but now I've changed my mind. The best, Ty M.
tyguy

Next

Return to Video Files