Super Chet!

Talk about guitars, amps and other gear.

Re: Super Chet!

Postby Ray Bohlken » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:19 am

Phil, you're correct. They did make a Deluxe Chet for a few years in the 70's. Here is a link to a photo of one.

http://www.gbase.com/gear/gretsch-chet- ... 974-cherry

L Mark, a buddy of mine had one of the Super Gretsch models like the ones in your link. It was a really nice guitar and I enjoyed playing it a little. Thanks for the link to the photos.
Ray
Ray Bohlken

Postby Gene1000 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:40 am

Mike, will do and will advise. Thanks for the tip.

Some years back, I spoke with Duke Kramer and purchased a few things from him including a gold Bigsby and a couple of Chet style tubular arms for the Bigsby. If there was ever anyone who was a major part of Gretsch history, it was Duke.
Gene1000

Postby Mike Nye » Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:18 am

Gene,

What might have also happened is someone may have backed off the trussrod adjustment too far, unthreading the trussrod. I remember this happening years ago, where it took several clockwise turns while wrapping the upper part of the neck with my knuckles while holding the instrument vertically. From what I remember the complaint was the trussrod rattled while playing the A and E strings. I can't say for sure what happened as my memory isn't too specific, but I think I got lucky and was able to get the rod threaded back into place.

Being I've never seen exactly how the trussrod itself is set into the neck as it's not visible, I'm not certain if the trussrod threads into the gearbox or into a threaded fixture somewhere under the string nut. Once glue deposits are cleaned from the neck tenon, you can see that they did a nice job pocketing the gearbox neatly into the neck.

Mike
If BRUTE-FORCE isn't working, you're not using enough ! ! !
Mike Nye

Postby Gene1000 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:45 pm

Mike, did as you suggested. The SC with the problem is indeed, about 1/8" higher when I insert the wrench as compared to the SC without the issue. I managed to scrape off a little residue inside the adjustment tunnel, down to the metal seat, but the difference in the height of the wrench is still about 1/8" or so.

As I indicated earlier, the gear seems to grab and then not grab. But the neck appears to adjust when I continued to turn the wrench a few days ago. As I turned it counterclockwise, the neck slowly began to straighten out. The only way to confirm that the adjuster is in fact working is to go back in there and tighten the nut and verify that the neck begins to bow back and over stress. For now, I'm going to hold off on doing this because right now it's pretty straight and I don't want to risk damage.

The next time I need to make an adjustment, I'll try tightening until (and if) the mechanism threads itself. If it does catch, then you will have been correct....and I will let you know. Too bad they don't make an X-Ray machine for guitar necks. Maybe I'll invent one and make millions...

Again, many thanks for you expertise and your time. For now, it's playing like a dream.
Gene1000

Postby Mike Nye » Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:23 pm

Gene1000 wrote:Mike, did as you suggested. The SC with the problem is indeed, about 1/8" higher when I insert the wrench as compared to the SC without the issue. I managed to scrape off a little residue inside the adjustment tunnel, down to the metal seat, but the difference in the height of the wrench is still about 1/8" or so.

THAT'S OK, as there are NO EXACT DIMENSIONS -just a guideline to determine if the key is actually engaging the gearbox nub

As I indicated earlier, the gear seems to grab and then not grab. But the neck appears to adjust when I continued to turn the wrench a few days ago. As I turned it counterclockwise, the neck slowly began to straighten out. The only way to confirm that the adjuster is in fact working is to go back in there and tighten the nut and verify that the neck begins to bow back and over stress. For now, I'm going to hold off on doing this because right now it's pretty straight and I don't want to risk damage.

THAT'S OK, as the trussrod is NOT ABSOLUTELY STRAIGHT. As you tighten or loosen the adjustment, it will bind and relax somewhat in the rod cavity as it pulls or relaxes the neck.

The next time I need to make an adjustment, I'll try tightening until (and if) the mechanism threads itself. If it does catch, then you will have been correct....and I will let you know. Too bad they don't make an X-Ray machine for guitar necks. Maybe I'll invent one and make millions...

From what you're now telling me, it appears that the trussrod is actually responding. The difference in turning resistance also may be due to the fact that the gearbox is not highly precision machined, it's designed to be just good enough for an occasional adjustment every so often.

Again, many thanks for you expertise and your time. For now, it's playing like a dream.

Good to hear everything is OK,
Mike
If BRUTE-FORCE isn't working, you're not using enough ! ! !
Mike Nye

Postby Doug Working » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:44 pm

About that album cover. I remember as a boy listening to Chet's records while holding that cover in my hand and drinking every detail in my mind. I was a young boy filled with wonder trying to figure out how he made all those sounds come out of that instrument.

Nothing much has changed...
Doug Working

Postby MHargis » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:21 pm

Hello All and thank you for letting me join! Great site!
Well my 1976 Super Chet will be here in a day or so, I am not worthy of this guitar, I have only started to learn 1 year ago. I have been a lead singer for over 40 years (I am 59y/o) and always loved the look of a hollowbody and how people could play them. Many times in the past I took lessons things just didn't click. So at the age of 58 I said to myself....Self....it's time to put your nose to the grindstone no matter what..My goal is not set high like before. I just want to play and sing around a campfire, just a hand full of old songs for Sing-a-longs. I have touched a guitar everyday 3 times or more, sometimes only for a min or two and sometimes for hours. On line lessons off Youtube and other players for a tip here and there. It's slow BUT it's working. I am up to 4 songs without adding choice words I learned in the Navy.
Now about that guitar that is coming... I could not afford or justify buying a guitar the can run 2k up to 7k? I am a Great entertainer ""Pat, Pat" but the cost of touring is high so the take home pay was lacking to say the least. So I bought a Silver semi-hollow Ibanez to learn on BUT the neck was to small at the nut and I was thudding the Cowboy cords. I have big hands. Then I found out the all guitars are not made the same! I Know! So I found a old 1950 Silvertone hollow body with a wide neck, 1.3/4 in, and things got better. I sold the Ibanez and made a dollar on it and so I started to buy and sell used guitars to make money to fund a nice guitar. As time went by the guitars got better and the more I learned about the brands and models the better the guitars got. It has only taken a little over a year and 135 deals to be able to buy the guitar of my dreams. Yeah, some guitars cost me money to sell but what I have learned is pricless. I love to Hot Rod and Theme out all kinds of guitars.
The Super Chet in route is not the best one on the shelve, no where near Mint and far from Excellent,But it will be mine to have and hold....and Play. The wiring is failing and some parts have been replaced but It's a true 1976 Super Chet. I will do a few things to make it the best it can be...for me.
If anyone wants to stop bye I will be glad to let you play it. I'm in Winterhaven Ca and St. David Az managing RV Parks
email; michael@michaelhargis.com
Link to the Super Chet that I bought; https://reverb.com/item/10644561-gretsc ... -1976-s144
P.S. If any one knows this guitar or the past owner (Name on the case) Please let me know, thanks.
MHargis

Postby Doug Working » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:31 pm

Welcome to the Chetboard! It's a great place (the BEST, actually!) to talk about our hero, Mr Guitar! You're in for a lot of fun!

Doug

PS I hope you get a lot of pleasure and pickin' out of your new axe. I envy you! But along with the hard work, you'll have a blast!
Doug Working

Postby NardsSteph » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:22 am

Hi guys where can i find a Super Chet Electric Guitar can any one knows?
NardsSteph

Postby MHargis » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:40 pm

MHargis

PreviousNext

Return to Guitars and Equipment