Louvin Brothers question

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

Louvin Brothers question

Postby Drail » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:58 am

I'm curious as to who is playing guitar for the Louvin Brothers song "There's a Star-Spangled Banner Waving Somewhere". I know it is most likely either Chet or Paul Yandell. I think I read somewhere that Chet played on "The Weapon of Prayer", but I don't know if that song was recorded in the same session as Star-Spangled Banner or if Chet played on it.

I'm also curious about the guitar used. The reason I ask is because I think the tone he gets on the harmonics are absolutely beautiful. It's the most bell like crystal clear tone, probably the best harmonic tone on an electric guitar I've heard(of course that's just my humble opinion).

Anyway, if anybody has any knowledge to impart it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
- Darryl
Drail

Re: Louvin Brothers question

Postby craigdobbins » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:39 pm

The song was recorded July 26, 1961. The studio log says "unknown" for lead guitar, but on the July 25 and 27 sessions, Odell Martin played lead, so it was probably Odell. These were all sessions for the "Weapon of Prayer" album. I think Jimmy Capps (who replaced Paul) was in the service at this time.

Chet only played on their very early sessions (mostly gospel, such as "The Family Who Prays"), through 1955. He played on "When I Stop Dreaming", their first big country hit. Chester Reason was with them briefly around this time, and played on "Love Thy Neighbor As Thyself" and a couple of others. Paul's first session with them was in October '55, when they cut "I Don't Believe You've Met My Baby." Paul was with them through mid-1958, when he was replaced by Jimmy Capps. From around '57-'60, Hank Garland and Ray Edenton also contributed to the "twin lead" sound that the Louvins used, such as on "River of Jordan" and "My Baby's Gone."

That's a lot of legendary guitar players.

Thanks,

Craig

P.S. Chet played on the original "Weapon of Prayer" single from 1951. It was re-recorded for the "Weapon of Prayer" LP on July 27, 1961, with Odell Martin on lead guitar.
craigdobbins

Re: Louvin Brothers question

Postby Drail » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:27 pm

Thanks Craig! That explains a lot! If it was Odell Martin he had the best tone on those harmonics he played for that song!
And I think I must have read that about Chet playing on the recording of Weapon of Prayer, but my memory failed me as to which recording it was.

Yes, that is quiet an impressive list of guitarist! Just another reason to love the Louvin Brothers!

Thanks again Mr. Dobbins
- Darryl
Drail

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins