Official first commercial recording of Chet Atkins?

A place to share your music! Post and view audio links.

Official first commercial recording of Chet Atkins?

Postby jean-luc » Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:41 pm

Chet says in his biography ("Country Gentleman" page 186) he recorded a session for the Capitol label in late 1944 as a sideman with Wally Fowler, Pappy Beaver Gube and also the Birchfield Brothers.
In Gallopin Guitar News (issue # 12 published in February 1956) Chet says that one of the songs was "Propaganda Papa".
The sessions were recorded on december 21, 1944 (as seen on the Praguefrank's website):

http://countrydiscography.blogspot.fr/s ... bel/Fowler% 20Wally

http://countrydiscography.blogspot.fr/s ... bel/Beaver% 20Pappy

The recordings with Pappy BEAVER feature Chet on fiddle.
I did not find the songs recorded with the Birchfield Brothers.

"Propaganda Papa" is available on the CD "Wally Fowler and his Georgia Clodhoppers – That's The last Straw" . Chet was a member of the group.
Jean-Luc

PROPAGANDA PAPA.mp3
Here is the song
(2.88 MiB) Downloaded 1006 times

1004.jpg
The Georgia Clodhoppers
jean-luc

Re: Official first commercial recording of Chet Atkins?

Postby smokymtguitar09 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:34 pm

I remember Wally Fowler as a Southern Gospel singer / song writer, and founder of the original Oak Ridge Quartet that eventually became the Oak Ridge Boys. Looking him up on line I find he did go through a time period with a country group called the Georgia Clodhoppers with Chet Atkins on guitar that performed on WNOX Radio in Knoxville. It was shortly after that he formed another gospel quartet. His song writing included Eddy Arnold's first million seller "That's How Much I Love You".

There is a Vol 2 of Fowler's recordings available that features the Georgia Clodhoppers.
Wally Fowler Vol 2(with his Georgia Clodhoppers and The Oak Ridge Quartet. BACM. 25 tracks. Singer/songwriter Wally Fowler founded the Georgia Clodhoppers in 1943 with a then unknown Chet Atkins as lead guitarist. This collection features mainly transcription recordings with the Clodhoppers plus a few later recordings with the Oak Ridge Quartet.

As far as I know the first recording of Chet as the featured artist was on the Bullet label in the 1940's.
Ronnie Evans
smokymtguitar09

Postby John Knowles » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:44 pm

I figure Chet would have been 18. I remember asking him in an interview how old he was when he started sounding enough like himself that the rest of us would have recognized him. I seem to remember him saying 18 or 19. It's out there in one of the Frets interviews, I think.

A treat to hear him at work.

John
John Knowles

Postby Richard Hudson » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:21 am

I have often wondered that myself, John. That is when did Chet start using the style that we all recognize. I would have guessed a little earlier, like around 14 or so, but it was a work in progress, I'm sure. Actually, he never stopped improving and broadening, and exploring. But, that's really interesting thinking about when he started using that style. If he told you 18 or 19, then that's what we will go with.

Thanks,
Richard
Richard Hudson

Postby jean-luc » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:19 pm

Hi Ronnie,
As I said, "Propaganda Papa" was the first "commercial" recording session.
The Bullet was recorded in 1946, probably in june.
The acetate Wnox Studio was recorded in mid 40's (before or after Propaganda Papa ?). But it was a demo promotional record.
Regards, Jean-Luc
jean-luc

Return to Audio files