Jack Pruett, Guitarist

Welcome to the new Chetboard!

Jack Pruett, Guitarist

Postby Gary Smith » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:17 pm

I found this article, it would appear that Jack passes away recently, he was Marty Robbins Guitarist.

JACK PRUETT
It’s late breaking news that Jack Pruett, lead guitar player for Marty Robbins from 1956 until Marty’s death, died this past weekend. He worked with David Houston from 1970-73, until Marty recovered from heart surgery and put his band back together. I don’t have the details yet about Jack’s death. Here’s a glimpse of Jack and his guitar on one of my favorite Marty Robbins songs, “I Can’t Quit”: http://www.youtube.com/embed/TId2u8DunF0

gary
Gary Smith

Re: Jack Pruett, Guitarist

Postby Billaboard » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:12 pm

Was he the brother of Sammy Pruett of the Drifting Cowboys?

Thanks for posting the great video.

In that video, it's the steel guitar that fascinates me. In the '60's in the UK, I remember discussions about the Marty Robbins recordings in that style, where we were not sure whether the steel had pedals. In the video it looks as though there might have been rods down from the "wrong" end of the neck, and it certainly sounds as though he was using a mixture of bar slants and pedals.
Billaboard

Postby marg2239 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:51 pm

Does anyone know how Jack Pruett died?
marg2239

Postby Gary Smith » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:26 pm

Here is the best I could find on Jack Preutt, in the photo, Jack is the second from the left.
No clear cause of death.
http://dianediekman.com/?p=778
Gary Smith

Postby Norm » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:07 am

Billaboard wrote: In the video it looks as though there might have been rods down from the "wrong" end of the neck, and it certainly sounds as though he was using a mixture of bar slants and pedals.

If the video in question is the one in the GOO setting I'd say that was your basic legged "console" (as opposed to "lap") Fender steel
...that's how it looks to me...The opinion expressed above is my own and does not necessarily reflect the views of this station. Your mileage may vary...

Audio samples: http://www.youtube.com/user/acountrygent/videos
That should do it.
Norm

Postby Tom Keller » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:46 pm

Looks like You tube has taken the clip down. Too bad, I would have liked to see the steel guitar. :cry: Yes, of course I would have liked to have seen Jack as well. :D

Tom
Tom Keller

Postby Tom Workman » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:50 pm

I met him around 1980 when a band I was in was opening for Marty Robbins at a local theatre. He was a very nice and soft-spoken gentleman. -Tom W.
Tom Workman

Return to Announcement and News