I'll See You in My Dreams

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

I'll See You in My Dreams

Postby mark reinhart » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:34 am

I'm wondering if anyone might know if both Chet and Merle Travis used capos to record their version of "I'll See You in My Dreams" on the ATKINS-TRAVIS TRAVELING SHOW album. They both normally played the song out of the key of C, but that version of the song is in the key of D. Certain phrases that Chet plays during the song show that he playing the song in C, and that he is either capoed up or tuned up a whole step. And it seems to me that Merle is also playing in C, capoed or tuned up as well. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Thanks!
mark reinhart

Re: I'll See You in My Dreams

Postby Norm » Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:39 am

Nothing specific but they may have capoed just because they liked the sound of it.

We delight when our idols play iconic songs we reckognize but after the X thousandth time of playing a given song getting played again they must tire of it. Capoing gives a new tone to a song

Earl Scruggs and Foggy Mt Breakdown come to mind but at least he had the copyright on that one.
Another is Mamma Maybelle, once again, doing Wildwood Flower.

We love to see it. No one does those songs better than they but there has to be some days...

I rmember being at a bluegrass gathering and Jerry Douglas and Mike Auldridge were there. I happened to get a fortunae "close enought to touch them" seat when attendees prevailed on the two to play together. While they were trying to decide on a song someone said "Do 'Pickaway'" They agreed but I'll never forget hearing Mike mutter "...but that's ten years olod."
They played the fire out of that tune though... Definite pros.
...that's how it looks to me...The opinion expressed above is my own and does not necessarily reflect the views of this station. Your mileage may vary...

Audio samples: http://www.youtube.com/user/acountrygent/videos
That should do it.
Norm

Re: I'll See You in My Dreams

Postby mark reinhart » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:12 pm

Norm, it's funny, but as I thought about just why Chet and Merle played the song in D and not C, I basically came to the same conclusion you did -- playing the song in D must have just sounded right to them that particular day, simple as that!
mark reinhart

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins