Fender GN-45SCE

Talk about guitars, amps and other gear.

Fender GN-45SCE

Postby wcookjr » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:31 am

Has anyone played/owned this guitar? I've been getting into some of Chet and Jerry Reed's music and need a guitar more fitting of the style. I've been using a Seagull folk acoustic that I put nylon strings on but the neck's too narrow. Plus it's a steel string fitted with nylons, 'nuff said. My dad has the hybrid classical La Patrie makes with the thinner neck, but My hands can't get comfortable on it (think of that burger king commercial with the guy with the small hands). This guitar seems right up my alley. I know it's discontinued, but it pops up on ebay every now and then.

And does anyone know how it compares to the CN-240SCE which is supposedly a replacement? The only real differences I see is the thinline has an onboard tuner and the body is about an inch thinner. The GN45SCE also has a solid top and back with laminated sides while the CN240SCE only has a solid top with laminated back and sides, but all with the same woods. The only thing I question is the fender website says the CN240SCE has a nut width of 1.69" (I highly doubt the neck is as narrow as my strat).

Anyway, I'd appreciate any help on this matter
wcookjr

Re: Fender GN-45SCE

Postby Roger Lane » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:15 pm

Mr. Cook, I have one I'm getting ready to put up for sale. It's a very nice nylon string guitar, has a 1 3/4 nut width. Email me privately if I can help you with any questions.
Roger Lane
Roger Lane

Postby Roger Pratt » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:04 pm

The picker playing with Tommy E. is using a Fender nylon the same model you are asking about or at least he used to. Judge for yourself if they are any good.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1zAzNgPi08
Roger Pratt

Postby wcookjr » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:26 pm

Roger Pratt wrote:The picker playing with Tommy E. is using a Fender nylon the same model you are asking about or at least he used to. Judge for yourself if they are any good.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1zAzNgPi08

Sounds like it cuts right through tommy's guitar, although I guess could be because of gear or volume differences
wcookjr

Postby Roger Lane » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:47 am

The GN-45SCE also has the onboard tuner.

Roger Lane
rgrlane@aol.com
KY
Roger Lane

Postby wcookjr » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:20 am

I wasn't aware the GN-45SCE had an onboard tuner, I thought it was just the CN-240SCE
wcookjr

Postby Superpicker » Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:21 am

I was playing in the video with Tommy. He had his amp turned around backwards as this was a workshop & most people that picked a number with him had no amp. Since I was playing nylon & I pick pretty soft, I had my Trace Elliot.

As far as that Fender, I LOVE that thing! The neck feels almost as good as my Godin. Nice low action.
It's got a great sound & neck for Jerry Reed & Chet tunes.

Tommy played it & asked me which model it was because he was going to have a friend he knows at Fender
get him one. He really liked it. As did Buster B. Jones. A few years before he passed, he came to town and
we got together & picked a few. He tried the Fender & liked it as well.

The nylon version of this guitar has no tuner. The steel string version does however. But the action on the steel
string is not as low as the nylon & would require adjustment.

Wishing you well on learning Jerry Reed tunes. They're tough but well worth learning!
Superpicker

Return to Guitars and Equipment