Song Suggestions?

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

Song Suggestions?

Postby bellaguitar13 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:25 pm

I have a jazz concert coming up for school and I want to play a Chet song. Any suggestions? (I have about 3 weeks to learn it)

Thanks
Bella
Last edited by bellaguitar13 on Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bellaguitar13

Re: What song?

Postby Norm » Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:01 am

Pardon me for saying but if you don't already play some "Chet songs" I don't think there's any you (or just about anyone) could work up tight enough for a jazz concert in only three weeks time. Chet's arrangements aren't as easy to play as they are to listen to.

Have a listen to what's available on youtube and make a selection there.

If you find one you like and want our help learning it we'll certainly do what we can to assist.

Good luck.
...that's how it looks to me...The opinion expressed above is my own and does not necessarily reflect the views of this station. Your mileage may vary...

Audio samples: http://www.youtube.com/user/acountrygent/videos
That should do it.
Norm

Re: What song?

Postby bellaguitar13 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:47 pm

Thank you Norm I guess that wasn't very specific now was it? My apologies. Yes, I can play many of Mr. Atkins arrangements already and know the Travis picking style very well. I was just asking for song suggestions because I am a very indecisive kind of person and cannot seem to choose one on my own.
Thank you
bellaguitar13

Re: Song Suggestions?

Postby David Elliott » Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:41 pm

bellaguitar13 wrote:I have a jazz concert coming up for school and I want to play a Chet song. Any suggestions? (I have about 3 weeks to learn it)

Thanks
Bella

Hi Bella,

I'm assuming a lot of your audience will be jazz oriented guitar people, so perhaps these proposed songs will be in that direction... This album was entitled "Progressive Pickin'. "

You might want to listen to some of these "oldies" recorded in an album by Chet years ago which would be somewhat "jazzy", while not completely thought of as "jazz" guitar. If Chet really wanted to of course, he could out-jazz any of the most famous jazz guitarists, but that wasn't really his "style" or favorite way of playing!

Anyhow, some of the tunes are very pretty, and have different degrees of difficulty in playing, but I'm not sure a familiarity with Travis style playing is going to be too helpful with most of these, especially with only three weeks until your show!

http://jukebox.au.nu/instromania/instro ... e_pickin_/

David
David Elliott

Re: Song Suggestions?

Postby bellaguitar13 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:57 pm

Thank you David! Love this album and I had completely forgotten about it!
bellaguitar13

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins