Changing strings on a Country Gent (i need advise, lots!)

Talk about guitars, amps and other gear.

Re: Changing strings on a Country Gent (i need advise, lots!

Postby rhudson » Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:26 pm

I have found that if I just bend the ball end of the strings just right it takes all of the hassle out of it. I think everyone makes too big of a deal out of it. It ain't that hard.
rhudson

Postby rickr » Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:59 pm

rhudson wrote:I have found that if I just bend the ball end of the strings just right it takes all of the hassle out of it. I think everyone makes too big of a deal out of it. It ain't that hard.

Well Richard,, i did bend the end of the string (with my hand, not a needle nose plier (which i will try next time)
I consider myself a reasonably intelligent man,, but not on assembly issues,,
If you were a fly on the wall, watching me put strings on a Gretsch,,, you would think you were
watching Curly of the three stooges every time the ball end popped off the pin ,,, So for me its been a big deal,,
but i appreciate your input,

God Bless,

Rick
rickr

Postby guitarchuck » Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:51 pm

Rick,
I bend each string with my fingers, just like Richard Hudson said. Same basic principal as LMark & Steve Moran. I've been doing it that way for years. Here's a video that shows how, only he uses the needlenose pliers, I also lock the headstock end of the string in like they show in this video:
guitarchuck

Postby LMark » Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:20 am

That's a good little video. I always wrap the strings down the peg (video addressed this) in the hopes of getting a little more sustain.
LMark

Postby Richard Hudson » Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:49 am

Rick, I didn't mean to sound condescending, if that's the way it came off. My apology. I actually use side cutters and that way I only have to have one pair of pliers out, since I use those to cut the excess ends off the strings when I am finished. A good sharp bend very close to the ball end of the strings has always held the string in place while I thread it through the eye of the tuner. After you do a couple of them this way it will become easier and you'll wonder why all the fuss. After tuning to pitch, I stretch each string and tune to pitch again and we're good to go.

Most everyone has their own favorite methods, but that is what works for me. I'll be stringing a couple of Bigsby equipped Gretsches tomorrow for a gig tomorrow night.
Richard Hudson

Postby rickr » Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:19 pm

Richard Hudson wrote:Rick, I didn't mean to sound condescending, if that's the way it came off. My apology.
Most everyone has their own favorite methods, but that is what works for me. I'll be stringing a couple of Bigsby equipped Gretsches tomorrow for a gig tomorrow night.

Richard,, No need to apologize, You did not come off as condescending, i certainly did not take it that way!

Thanks again
Rickr
rickr

Postby Skip » Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:36 am

Hi Guy's I found another way is to bend the ball end around a pencil to precurve it, then hook the pin and use a kapo midway up the fret board to keep the string from slipping off, while You have the loose end to tie how ever You wish. It works even better than the video. One at a time is best so Bigsby stay's put. Work's for Me. :lol:
Skip

Postby Mike Nye » Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:49 am

I've always used a capo to hold string tension, so they don't jump off the pins while threading them around the tuning machine capstans.
If BRUTE-FORCE isn't working, you're not using enough ! ! !
Mike Nye

Previous

Return to Guitars and Equipment