Jerry and Paul on RFD TV

Welcome to the new Chetboard!

Jerry and Paul on RFD TV

Postby Larry Marchino » Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:48 pm

I happened to catch the last few minutes of the Porter Waggoner show on RFD TV the other day and Jerry Reed was on. On the part I saw Jerry played a great medley including some Chet tunes. I know Yakety Axe and Snowbird were included and at least one other Chet tune, but he did them Jerry style. It was great. I'd not seen that clip before. Jerry played a Les Paul. I don't recall seeing him play a Les Paul before. I was surprised he didn't have a Tele. Paul was with Jerry and Paul was playing a flat top. I didn't get a good look at the guitar that Paul was playing, but at the last minute before they took the camera of him I noticed the head stock looked long like it might have been a 12 string--?? Anyway it was great to see both on TV. Anyone familiar with this clip and know what Paul was playing? Also, I wonder was there a time that Jerry played a Les Paul or was this maybe just a one-time thing? I figure with all the knowledge out there someone on this board may know the story on this.
Larry Marchino

Re: Jerry and Paul on RFD TV

Postby Hendrik » Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:24 pm

Larry, the clip you mentioned is on YouTube. Jerry used a Les Paul pretty often, you can see him play it on several YouTube clips. Paul is playing a Baldwin classical with Prismatone pickup. They swapped guitars on this show when they performed the Chuck Berry Medley.

Songs included in the medley:

1. I Never Promised You a Rose Garden
2. Yakety Axe
3. Wildwood Flower
4. Wabash Cannonball
5. Eight More Miles to Louisville
6. Snowbird

Jerry Reed and Paul Yandell - Guitar Medley
Hendrik

Postby craigdobbins » Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:25 pm

Paul was playing a Baldwin 801CP electric classical. (Jerry was playing it earlier in the show, on the Chuck Berry medley. Paul was playing a Tele then.)

Jerry played a Les Paul fairly often. The way he had Paul set it up, and of course with Jerry's technique, it still sounded pretty much like a Tele. Paul told me that when he was with Jerry ('70 or '71 til about '75) that Jerry usually took three guitars along for playing live: a Tele, a Les Paul, and either a Baldwin or an Ovation gut string, both with Prismatone pickups.

Somewhere around late '75, Jerry started using a Les Paul a lot more. He's using one on the instrumental Bake from Red Hot Picker, and on a lot of tracks from Jerry Reed Rides Again and Both Barrels. That's a Les Paul on Gator. By 1977, Paul had installed the phaser module in Chet's CG, and a compressor module in one of Jerry's Les Pauls, I think a custom sunburst model. Paul told me Jerry used the Les Paul/compressor on the solo from East Bound and Down.

Jerry used the Les Paul on the electric tracks from the Half and Half LP. Then he switched to a Peavey T-60, with a bridge modded by Paul. This is around the time Paul fixed up the "Peavers" for himself and Chet.

Hope that's not more info than you bargained for...

Craig
Last edited by craigdobbins on Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
craigdobbins

Postby craigdobbins » Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:28 pm

Hendrik, I think that might be Cotton Fields instead of ...Louisville.

Of course it's the same progression to hundreds of songs, and Jerry's not exactly sticking to the melody...

Craig
craigdobbins

Postby Hendrik » Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:45 pm

What a coincidence Craig, a difference of one minute. Your post is much more informative, love reading these posts. Didn't checked the songs of the medley they played, copied it from description but you're probably spot on.

Ps. the pictures you attached in your e-mail of Jerry are amazing. Never knew Jerry had a Prismatone installed on his Guild MKIII.
Hendrik

Postby Larry Marchino » Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:36 pm

Thanks for the info Craig and Hendrik! I just knew that Craig probably knew all about this. Thanks for posting the clips. I only caught part of the show so I only saw the one clip with Jerry playing the Les Paul. I didn't know Jerry played a Les Paul so I just revealed my Jerry ignorance I guess. If I'd seen the first clip I would probably have realized what it was Paul was playing and since I didn't get it recorded I couldn't go back and look again. One more question though, was this the same Baldwin that Jerry sawed off the lower bout to make it a literal "cut away"? Thanks again guys!
Larry Marchino

Postby Hendrik » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:10 am

Larry, I don't know if the Baldwin he played on this show is the one he chopped, but the one with the sawed off cutaway is indeed a Baldwin 801CP. Jerry owned several Baldwin’s, a standard model (like in the clip), a smaller model which he gave a florentine cutaway (he played this guitar on the DVD Live at the Bottom Line and of course his infamous sawed off model. Paul often played on a Baldwin during recording sessions (he played rhythm on a Baldwin on Jerry's Breakdown).
Hendrik

Postby dgallent » Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:42 pm

Jerry also had a third Baldwin. He asked me to find one as the one with the curved cutaway was falling apart. I contacted me friend in Baton Rouge, Mark Wascom, who had a guitar shop and had a Baldwin. Jerry called him and Mark tried to give it to him but Jerry sent him a check. I do not know what happened to that guitar. I never saw him play it. Mostly when he was playing toward the end of his career, he played a Godin electric, I think Bresh got for him.

In Jerry's front closet was also a Gibson red 335 and a red Gibson Chet Atkins Model along with the Les Paul. I never saw him play the Tele except on stage. He told me the Tele was the easiest electric guitar to play.

Redd Voalkert said Jerry Reed was the greatest Tele Player he ever saw.
dgallent

Postby Oddsteven » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:46 pm

I always loved that funky tone he got in studio on the electric.
Steve Cowles
Oddsteven

Return to Announcement and News