Prancin' Filly -- what guitar was Chet playing?

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

Prancin' Filly -- what guitar was Chet playing?

Postby mark reinhart » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:38 pm

OK, it has been awhile since I've posted a question relating to research for my book project. Does anyone have any idea just which guitar Chet might have used to record the song "Prancin' Filly" written by his father? I'm guessing that he probably used his DelVecchio since that was basically his "go-to" steel-string acoustic. If anyone has an answer to this question, I would really appreciate it. Thanks!
mark reinhart

Re: Prancin' Filly -- what guitar was Chet playing?

Postby craigdobbins » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:01 pm

It was his first Delvecchio, the one he got from Nato Lima. (It's on the cover of My Favorite Guitars.) He usually tuned this one up a half step. Next came the one with the "V" cutouts, which he used from the late 60's onward, until Doyle Dykes gave him the long scale DV with the aluminum covers.

John Knowles, was it the long scale DV that Mike Voltz nearly trashed when the buffing wheel threw the guitar across the room? It was the guitar Chet used when you two did the ballet in Nashville.

Craig
craigdobbins

Postby mark reinhart » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:08 am

Craig, thanks for your answer -- it really helps me a lot. I have one more question about the Lima Del Vecchio -- did Chet really always use nylon strings on it? Its tone is so bright and metallic that it really sounds as if it is a steel-stringed instrument.
mark reinhart

Postby craigdobbins » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:33 pm

No, not to my knowledge. Chet used silk and steel on it, with a wound 3rd. There are various interviews in Guitar Player and Frets where he talked about it. In later years, on the long scale, he used a plain 3rd, with a silk and steel 4th and classical 5th and 6th. I have some of the custom string sets that D'Addario made up for Paul McGill and Chet.
craigdobbins

Postby mark reinhart » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:53 pm

Thanks again for your help, Craig!
mark reinhart

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins