Joe Pass Epi or Gretsch 5120?

Talk about guitars, amps and other gear.

Re: Joe Pass Epi or Gretsch 5120?

Postby DagerRande » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:36 pm

Ray, I use the Roland Micro-Cube amp everywhere I perform that has a sound system. I actually carry in my bag with the cords, guitar stand, etc. It provides the sound I want and the sound systems push it out to the listeners. On it's own it doesn't have a big enough sound but you'd be surprised how it sounds in a large church like I just performed in over the weekend. I just have the sound people make sure not to add any effects or do anything special.
Rande Dager

We are all capable of doing more than we think we can!
DagerRande

Postby Ray Bohlken » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:53 pm

Rande, I use the Micro Cube in the garage when I am learning a new song. That way I can play and not drive my wife crazy with the constant repetition, I am such a slow learner, it takes forever and constant playing of a passage to get it in my thick skull. I also plug it into my Crate amp in the house to use the effects from the micro cube when I am just playing things I know. I never play out anywhere anymore - all I ever did was open mike nights - so I have no occasion to pack it up with me...I agree with you - it has a good sound.
I hope you're surviving all this cold weather. My wife's family in Alpena and Flint has been going through some weather and I'm sure you have, too. We had almost 3 inches of snow and it practically paralyzed our region here in Virginia Beach...and they're predicting another 3 inches tomorrow. ARGHHHHH! :shock:
Take care,
Ray
Ray Bohlken

Postby DagerRande » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:14 pm

Ray, I moved here directly from Southern California and have gone through a few winters but never like this one! We are setting records both in quantity of snowfall and amount of time below zero! All schools were closed today and most of them have already announced closing for tomorrow.

I'd like to somehow configure things so I can record using my micro-cube and preserve that great sound and start posting on this board. From the feedback I see on the other posted recordings, I think people here may like it and hopefully relate to it.
Rande Dager

We are all capable of doing more than we think we can!
DagerRande

Postby cettyboy » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:29 am

I was playing an outdoor jazz/blues fest a few years back.It was really hot out.I was using an LR10 and a Strat on the gig.Somebody brought up to the band stand the Ibanez Joe Pass model and wanted me to give it a shot on a jump blues tune.The neck was so sticky due to the heat I didn't (or couldn't ) move past the open position!The Ibanez LR10 was fine.
Not really sure how they finished the neck on that guitar, but if the Epi is anything like it.........stay indoors! LOL!
Mark
cettyboy

Previous

Return to Guitars and Equipment