octabass

Talk about guitars, amps and other gear.

octabass

Postby Joeb » Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:46 pm

If anyone is interested in getting that Chet Octabass sound Musicans Friend has a pedal called the Octabass. No more need to having to have a certain guitar set up for this effect anymore.$160.00. Happy New Year . Joeb
Joeb

Re: octabass

Postby Terry Tolley » Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:46 pm

I remember reading the octabass guitar used on Chet's Solo Flights album was on the guitar where only the low E and the A strings were replaced with bass strings. There was another effect he had back in the 60's where the octave note was mixed with the natural note. It sounded like a duet of a bass player and a guitarist. These two effects sound very different to me.
Terry Tolley

Postby mattburnside » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:34 pm

I imagine that you could also reproduce the effect with maybe a Variax, or the Roland VG-99 system, or anything where you can do custom per-string tunings. In my experience, the Solo Flights stuff sounds great on a standard 6-string. Chet re-did the Octabass stuff on the DVD he did with Jerry Reed in later years, but by all accounts it was a cast-iron bitch to keep it in tune.
mattburnside

Postby DagerRande » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:02 am

Back in those days when "Solo Flights" was still popular among Chet enthusiasts I had a guitar that was always ready to play things like "Drive-In" , "Three Little Words", "Mercy, Mercy", etc., but was frustrated at the limitations of what sounded right when the 5th and 6th strings had been replaced with bass guitar strings. I'd play a few songs suited for that setup and then try a few others that just didn't work well and I'd quickly find myself grabbing a different guitar.
Rande Dager

We are all capable of doing more than we think we can!
DagerRande

Postby craigdobbins » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:28 am

... which is why we need lots of guitars.
craigdobbins

Postby Norm » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:56 pm

Chet's original Octabass was made using his prototype SuperChet according to Paul.
When Chet went with Gibson he had a gibson CG and a gibson Tenny fitted out for Ocatabass and had Paul restore the SuperChet to its original state.

Kinda like a twelve string. Only good for certain applications and fraught with its own tuning issues.

And to reenforce Craig's comment, Chet certainly had enought guitars to tinker with...
...that's how it looks to me...The opinion expressed above is my own and does not necessarily reflect the views of this station. Your mileage may vary...

Audio samples: http://www.youtube.com/user/acountrygent/videos
That should do it.
Norm

Postby DagerRande » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:42 pm

Craig, and one of the "lots of guitars" in our collection should be a "Craig Dobbins Signature Model" by Kirk Sand, right? I would love that!
Rande Dager

We are all capable of doing more than we think we can!
DagerRande

Return to Guitars and Equipment