Chet Atkins' Workshop -- your thoughts?

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

Re: Chet Atkins' Workshop -- your thoughts?

Postby Steve Sanders » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:21 pm

I have a couple'a questions regarding "Lullaby of Birdland" and "Tammy" from Chet's "Workshop" album and maybe Craig or someone can answer them. I've been wunderin' for years!!! On "Birdland" does Chet play the first part with the walking bass line WITHOUT a thumbpick and just use his bare thumb? Sure soundsl like it to me. And on "Tammy" what amp is he using. Can't be the Standel 25L15 because of the tremelo. Course he could have used a pedal or other outboard effect. And for the folks that say that Chet used "very little" if any reverb they might want to go back and listen to "Workshop", especially "Goofus" because there is plenty of reverb! Of course, Chet being Chet used it expertly and fittingly. One of my favorite albums too!!! Steve
Steve Sanders

Re: Chet Atkins' Workshop -- your thoughts?

Postby John C. » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:53 pm

Thanks for the kind words, Mark; really looking forward to your book!

I first heard "Workshop" when I borrowed a VERY well-worn copy from my local library (they also had Chet's Christmas LP...I remember the grooves on that one were almost white from being played so much!)

Like Mike, my immediate favorites were also Sleep & Birdland...one of those "you mean he's playing both of those parts at the same time" moments! Bill Porter's engineering work is simply flawless on this LP.

According to the inflation calculator, the $8000 worth of electronic equipment mentioned on the back cover would now cost $60,565!

Thanks,

John
John C.

Previous

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins