The Other Chet Atkins

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

The Other Chet Atkins

Postby mark reinhart » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:09 am

I have a question for all of you about Chet's album THE OTHER CHET ATKINS that I am thinking may not be able to be answered. Does anyone have any idea just what kind of nylon-string acoustic that he used to record the album? He discusses the album in ME AND MY GUITARS, but he does not go into any detail about what particular instrument (or instruments) he used for it. Thanks!
mark reinhart

Re: The Other Chet Atkins

Postby John McClellan » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:40 am

Chet was playing his Estruch classic during this period. He didn't play his Ramirez, Oribe, and Haile until much later.
The Estruch is the guitar you see him using on YouTube when playing Dizzy Fingers on Hee Haw. My friend, the late Bill Porter engineered this record. The Estruch is NOT a particular good guitar, Chet did what Chet can do...makes it sing! :)

John

PS. Chet's family gave that guitar to Earl Klugh.
John McClellan

Postby mark reinhart » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:49 pm

John, thanks so much for this answer. I've always loved your IN THREE DIMENSIONS books, and needless to say, I've been returning to them time and time again for my Chet book project!
mark reinhart

Postby mattburnside » Wed Dec 25, 2013 1:27 am

Thank you, John. Without your knowledge, nuggets like this would be lost to history.
mattburnside

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins