What Gretsch model ?

Need help? Don't know how to embed youtube videos? Can't listen to mp3's on the forum? Problems browsing the Chetboard? Find the solution here!

What Gretsch model ?

Postby amdyck » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:41 pm

After listening to Chet's rendition of "Winter Wonderland" and "Silver Bells" from "Christmas with Chet Atkins" I would like to know which model he used for that album and what present-day model can achieve that beautiful sound. Can anyone help? Thanks, Alan
amdyck

Re: What Gretsch model ?

Postby thenorm » Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:02 am

Being that it was released in 1961 it was most likely recorded on his '59 so a 6122-59 and a Stamdel amp would be the closest you could get in hardware
thenorm

Postby tyguy » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:37 pm

I think Chet's hands made that beautiful sound! The Best, Ty M.
tyguy

Postby thenorm » Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:20 am

True enough Ty, but the man asked what guitar Chet used and was one like it avaialble, So I told him.

The rest of it?

Well, it's like Homer said to Cousin Jody once...

"It's on there someplace... Find it!"
thenorm

Postby Vidar Lund » Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:54 pm

Alan asked: What present-day model can achieve that beautiful sound. Can anyone help? Norm is correct in stating that Chet most likely used his 6122-59 Country Gentleman. The present day Terada made 6122-59 model or a near identical Nashville Classic is more or less identical to that one, and in the right hands and with a Standel amp it will produce the sound you want -if you´re good enough!
Vidar Lund

Postby thenorm » Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:21 pm

This, a quote from my Paul Yandell archive, gives a view of how "it's in the hands" works...

__________'

I remember sometimes when we, the band, would do a sound check for a concert. The band would go to the hall and set up and Chet would come a little later.
I would set Chet's amp and delay and get his guitar and tune it and play it though the house system then I would do the same to mine.
Then Chet would arrive and pick up his guitar and it always amazed me. Nothing and been changed except it was Chet playing his guitar! It was completely different sound than when I had played it. It was because Chet had the touch and soul that made him what he was. Once Chet broke a string and he took my guitar and played it. And again it was the same sound as his.

So you can buy a replica of the guitar, maybe find and restore a similar amp and even get one of Chet's favoite mics but you still have a long way to go to get That Tone.

Having said all that, start with the 6122-59. It is a true replica of a guitar as modified by a known artilst. It's not just an 'endorsement" model or a "signature guitar". It's as close to the 'real deal' as you can get.

And when you do, thank Paul Yandell for concieving the project and seeing it through...
thenorm

Postby tyguy » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:07 pm

thenorm wrote:This, a quote from my Paul Yandell archive, gives a view of how "it's in the hands" works...

__________'

I remember sometimes when we, the band, would do a sound check for a concert. The band would go to the hall and set up and Chet would come a little later.
I would set Chet's amp and delay and get his guitar and tune it and play it though the house system then I would do the same to mine.
Then Chet would arrive and pick up his guitar and it always amazed me. Nothing and been changed except it was Chet playing his guitar! It was completely different sound than when I had played it. It was because Chet had the touch and soul that made him what he was. Once Chet broke a string and he took my guitar and played it. And again it was the same sound as his.

So you can buy a replica of the guitar, maybe find and restore a similar amp and even get one of Chet's favoite mics but you still have a long way to go to get That Tone.

Having said all that, start with the 6122-59. It is a true replica of a guitar as modified by a known artilst. It's not just an 'endorsement" model or a "signature guitar". It's as close to the 'real deal' as you can get.

And when you do, thank Paul Yandell for concieving the project and seeing it through...

Amen!Tone can't be bought or taught. The Best, Ty M.
tyguy

Postby amdyck » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:25 pm

I can't find my reply on the board so here I go again. Thanks for the suggestions lads. I will research the 6122-59 and when I have enough $$$ to get it and I like the feel of it I will buy it. Alan
amdyck

Postby BillB » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:48 pm

Eddie Estes posted that he is selling his Nashville Classic, which is a 6122-59. His post is under the Mister Guitar section. When that model was originally re-issued, it was called Nashville Classic. I think that was from '03-'06, and it was renamed Country Gentleman in '07 when Chet's family went back to Gretsch. Mine is an '06 Nashville Classic 6122-59, and it is a real sweet guitar.

Bill B.
BillB

Return to Support