6122-1959

Talk about guitars, amps and other gear.

Re: 6122-1959

Postby albertgen » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:33 am

They are all great guitars, I have the 59 Nashville Classic and like it a lot but recently all I like to play is the beautiful red Super Axe. I love the thin body and I use 9's on it so it is easy to play and stays in tune, no vibrato but that's ok, it causes you to use other techniques to enhance your tone. Al
albertgen

Postby Chuck » Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:02 pm

Thanks Steve and Al.

I like your solution Steve, very much, get both. Hehe, a tough sell around here though...

Well, if anyone is interested in the continuing story, I got to Guitar Center today, and Sam Ash. Sam's had an older 6122-1962, with the mutes and back pad.

If what I am assuming is correct, that the size of the 6122-1962 and the 6122-1959 is similar, then I now know the 6122 is too big for me. I messed with the guitar for an hour, really liked the tone and action, but it is too big at the bout. I now have no doubt. I also have no doubt it is one of the coolest guitars on the planet...

Steve I checked out Matt Cowe's videos as per your reco. You are so right, to my ear anyway, he nails a great tone. I wrote him a short note and he was nice enough to confirm, those are "stock" filtertrons, just as you said. It's a 'stock" 6120, though he has added the Bigsby "wire".

While at Sam's I played a 5120 and thought the size was just great. I even liked the sound of it too, very very good value I thought. But I think I am going to go "all the way" and maybe buy a 6120 used through Rocky at Street Sounds or another reputable vendor. I'd buy at Sam's they just don't have any. Again, I am making an assumption, that the 5120 and 6120 are similar in size.

So the next question is to spend the extra for the 6120-1959 with the TV Jones pickups, or go with the "standard" 6120, and perhaps for creme on the cake, add a supertron later if seems warranted.

OR go with the CGP. The split pickup really appeals to me. I wish I were closer to a dealer where I could play all 3, (6120 CGP, 6120-1959TV, 6120 with Filtertrons)

Anyway, more than you wanted to read, but it is so fun, the hunt, I wanted to share it. Thanks again everybody, Chuck
Chuck

Postby senojnad » Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:39 pm

Sounds like you are not comfortable with the 17" body.....? At 5'-10", it should be something you can get used to if the '59 meets all your other needs. I'm 5'-11" and the 6122-1959 works fine for me.

I've owned my '6122-1959 for about 6 years and have found it to be the finest playing & sounding guitar I've ever owned (been playing since 1952). I cannot say enough good things about it.

Regarding the scale length -- the '59 has the same length as many Fenders and Martins. The length of the first 5 frets combined is 5". On a short scale, that same distance is 4-25/32". So the total difference between the two is less than 1/4", from the nut to the 5th fret. Above the 5th fret, the dimensions become less significant.

The nut of the '59 is 1/16" wider than on other Gretsch models.

If you are still determined that you want a 16" body (a 6120), you can install the same pickup configuration (TV Jones SuperTron at the Neck and Classic Plus at the bridge) on any guitar.
Last edited by senojnad on Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
senojnad

Postby senojnad » Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:54 pm

Trying several top-of-the-line Gretsch guitars in any brick and mortar store is a real challenge -- they are tough to find. I have actually never seen a 6122-1959 in a store -- I bought mine "sight unseen" -- something I never did before, and I am VERY happy that it worked out well for this guitar.

There are several dealers where you can get better prices than at Sam Ash, Guitar Center, etc. Big Box stores use the standard discounts, usually around 30% (+/-) below MSRP. Their overhead costs are higher (large buildings, employees, etc.) than smaller independent dealers.

Rocky's Street Sounds is very well regarded and you likely will get better pricing than at a big box store. Shanghai Music & Sound is another good one. I have dealt with D'Town Guitars for years -- his prices are MUCH lower (more than 40% off on high end gear) than Sam Ash, GC, etc. These dealers are very well regarded for good service including quality inspection and set-up of your guitar before shipping. Check them out.....

Good luck with your quest -- the prospect of a new top quality guitar is a wonderful form of excitement!
senojnad

Postby Larry Marchino » Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:33 am

I've been reading this thread and thought I'd add another variable to consider-sustain. I feel so blessed at this point in my life to be able to afford and have a 6120 DSW and also 6122-1959 HOF. Before getting the HOF I had replaced the pickups on my 6120 with TV Jones pickups. I had tried some guitars at CAAS with TV Jones pickups and then ordered what I thought sounded the best based on that trial. I didn't realize it until after the fact but the pickups I ordered and have on my 6120 are the same pickups as on the regular 1959-6122 and on the HOF, a Classic Plus at the bridge and a Supertron at the neck. The Gretsch website called the bridge pick up a "Plus HT" but I emailed TV Jones to confirm that it is a Classic Plus (the HT just refers to the open cover). So, they are the same pickups. Back to sustain--The pickups are the same but the sustain and clarity of the note on the 6122-1959 HOF is much better than on my 6120. This, I am sure, is due to the closed top and general construction of the guitar. Unless you are able to directly compare the two and switch back and forth you may not notice it so much. But, having both guitars and playing them through the same amp it is very noticable. Just wanted to add this additional factor to consider.
Happy guitar hunting!
Larry Marchino

Postby George Beasley » Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:58 am

After reading this thread, I decided go ahead and modify my 6120-CGP. After talking with Earl at TV Jones, I found that the bridge pickup is the same as in the 6122-1959 (TV Classic Plus). It sounded a little weak, so I've bought DeArmond mount shims to raise the pickup slightly, and get it in the sweet spot. I've also ordered a Super'Tron in the DeArmond mount, made with cream colored plastic on top to match the top of the bridge pickup. I've also got a new wiring harness coming, which will have a master vol, master tone, and two individual vol controls. The extra pot will go in the hole currently occupied by the stereo switch. As far as the extra input jack...I will probably just link it to the other jack, so that either will work when I plug it in.

I'll take pictures of the process when I get started.
Thanks,
George
George Beasley

Postby Chuck » Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:37 pm

Thanks Senojnad and Larry. Very good points. I am moving glacially, as usual, but despite my reservations (perhaps unfounded) about being able to accommodate the 6122-1959, it is the way I am leaning.

But it is a good thing, can't go wrong really. One guitar that has come on my radar is the 6118t "Anniversary". The color I guess is "polarizing" but I like it as does my wife. Same old thing, can't find one to play around here. It seems like other than the bridge and a slightly narrower body, it is akin to a 6120 with filtertrons. Overall less money too.

Anyway, my hope is to have something by the end of this year, or at least have it ordered. I must say it has been fun, and I feel I can speak a little more intelligently about the Gretsch line now.

Oh by the way also on the radar is the 6119ft, Tennessee Rose. Like I said can't go wrong here with the ProLines.

George that sounds like a great project with your CGP, looking forward to seeing (and hearing) how it comes out, sounds like a winner. Happy holidays all, and thanks for all the great input, Chuck
Last edited by Chuck on Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chuck

Postby DagerRande » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:15 am

Chuck, I enjoyed your use of the word "glacially". However don't forget that this is a little quicker these days because of "global warming"......lol.
Rande Dager

We are all capable of doing more than we think we can!
DagerRande

Postby George Beasley » Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:52 pm

Happy Xmas and New Year to everyone. A while back, I commented on this thread, and it got me thinking about making my 6120-CGP a more personalized instrument. I have decided to replace the neck (stereo) pickup with a supertron to match better with the 6122-1959. Just got the pickup in the mail today. It looks great....I asked them to make a SuperTron neck pickup in the DeArmond mount, with gold plating, and the same cream colored top as on the 6120-CGP. I haven't installed it yet.....but so far it looks good! I will post more as I begin the actual installation.

thanks!!

Thanks,
George
George Beasley

Postby guitarchuck » Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:25 pm

Looks nice George! Let us know how the sound is and if it's anything like the 6122-1959.
guitarchuck

PreviousNext

Return to Guitars and Equipment