Christmas with Chet Atkins 1961

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

Christmas with Chet Atkins 1961

Postby Larry Marchino » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:12 pm

It's not Christmas until I hear my Chet Christmas CDs/records. Just played the record from 1961, which is different from the CD version and that got me to thinking. When the Christmas with Chet Atkins record was released as a CD several years ago I remember reading how they had gone back to the original tapes to produce the CD but the old tapes were in such bad shape that there are some irregularities on some of the CD tracks and it explained that is also why they had to use a different take than was originally used on the record on a couple of the songs. I first had thought there was something on the CD liner notes about it, but I don't find it there. Then I thought I probably read it here on the Chet Board, but I wasn't able to find it in the archives--which doesn't mean it is not there, just that I couldn't find it. This is driving me crazy now. I don't remember where I read it. Anyone else remember this and where I could find it now? Just wanted to read about it again. Thanks in advance for any info on this.
Larry Marchino

Re: Christmas with Chet Atkins 1961

Postby craigdobbins » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:54 pm

Don't know about the CD versions, but in the mid-1970s. Chet re-recorded a few of his tracks from the 1961 LP. On some, he replaced the nylon string guitar with Delvecchio, and on one (Little Drummer Boy), he replaced the acoustic nylon guitar with an electric nylon. Several of the songs featured "updated" rhythm tracks, with more open strumming instead of the jazzy archtop rhythm guitar (Velma Smith?) on the original. Also, the verse/chorus structure of a few of the electric songs were altered or edited.

I have a copy of both LPs. There are no liner notes detailing changes on the mid-1970s re-release I have.

Craig
craigdobbins

Postby jean-luc » Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:44 pm

Some tracks were re-recorded (with the Delvechio) for the 1975 album. This was explained on the old "Funky Junk" website in an article entitled "A History and Discography Of Chet Atkins Christmas Recordings."
Give me your email address and I will send you this old article.
Various CD reissues are either version 61 or version 75 for example:
1997 CD BMG / RAZOR RE 2155-2 is the '75 reissue
2011 CD/MP3 download RecordJet Mocking Bird and 2012 Songs For Christmas CD IMC Music LTD CHL 25285 are the '61 version.
Regards Jean-Luc,
jlme@club-internet.fr
jean-luc

Postby Larry Marchino » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:26 pm

Thank you! Maybe that is where I read some of what I am remembering. I was pretty sure I remembered reading something about there being some irregularities due to the old tape though. Maybe I have mixed it up with something else. Hmmmm.
My email is: larrymarchino@att.net
Thank you for the information.
Larry Marchino

Postby mark reinhart » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:13 pm

Jean-Luc, could you email me that article as well? I would love to use it for research on my book project. Thanks!

Mark Reinhart
rmtmusicgroup@gmail.com
mark reinhart

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins