new Chetboard

Welcome to the new Chetboard!

Re: new Chetboard

Postby David Elliott » Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:51 pm

Doug,

DUH... :lol:

Actually, that was what was confusing me. I had checked the 'automatically log on' box when I registered, and it showed my name at the top of the page, listed me as a member, and said I was registered, etc. but it appeared that I was 'hiding' or something, as it didn't have me on the "members using" little box at the bottom of the page...

I assumed that if you were automatically logged in, you were, er, uh, 'logged in'! After doing as you said, THERE I BE! :oops:

You may recall, it's against my religion to read instructions...

Funny, as sophisticated as this thing is, it doesn't appear to have a 'spell-checker' so I just brought back my old Google title bar friend! :)

How did the stent caper go?

David
David Elliott

Postby Doug_H » Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:27 pm

David,

I've run a couple of these phpBB scripts before and I've never seen the 'automatically log me in each visit' thing work. There is a setting in the admin panel for it that may not be turned on, and I've used it (elsewhere), but I've still never seen it work. lol!

I'm used to these boards and mostly like them, so my only gripe with the setup so far is that links aren't being opened in a new window, so you get your page hi-jacked when you click on a link. There's a setting in the admin panel for that too. I'd like to see that enabled. That's a personal preference and others may not agree.

So far the stents are working as advertised. I feel WAY better than I did a couple of weeks ago. I'm still not supposed to walk more than 8 MINUTES a day. Walmart is a little high on groceries and I normally don't shop there for food, but I'm taking advantage of those motorized carts. So I'm still a dangerous man! :lol:
Doug_H

Postby jay » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:32 am

It is a lot of work to set up a board like this, so thank you for your time and effort. I think the beauty of the other board was it was truly a "what you see is what you get" layout. There was no layering. You saw everything when the page came up and then made your decision on what to read.

People that used Windows 98 hated XP. People that used XP hate Vista and 7, I am pretty proficient at web stuff and even I look at the layout and go...I really do not want to spend the time perusing all the directories to see who has said what. Not your bad, just a personal decision. Most boards are this format. That is just how it is today. But as with guitars and amps and whiskey and women...sometimes new is not always better.
jay kantor
jay

Postby David Elliott » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:06 am

Jay,

Yeah, for the most part I agree Jay. It is what I would describe as somewhat 'cumbersome' and not nearly as quick to move through the various posts. Also, with the old Board if you configured your computer correctly, it was easy to see which posts you had already read (different color), and the new posts would come up bright blue, etc. As far as 'topics' go, that was right there in the "subject' box, plain to see.

I like being able to format text, bold, different color, etc. but that's not really a big deal either.

I sure do like it when people use their real names though! There's just something about referring to a grown man (or woman) as 'Tinkerbell' that sorta turns me off! :lol:

All in all, I can live with it, but to quote somebody else, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

David
David Elliott

Postby J J Harmon » Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:57 am

Finally got in.

It may turn out that I can only get in at the library or down here in GA.

My work restricts this sort of thing but it may work when I get back with a reg.
J J Harmon

Postby stambi » Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:29 am

Old chetboard was very simple for writing and reading. It takes me few minutes to read what all chetboarders have to say. New chetboard takes me much more time to read, and it is not simple for older users.
Boris Stambuk
stambi

Postby guitarchuck » Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:14 am

Hi Boris,
Try this:
From the "Board Index" page click on: • View unread posts • It is just below Chet's picture at the top left hand corner of the page in the following wording:

View unanswered posts • View unread posts • View new posts • View active topics Mark forums read

After you click on • View unread posts • It will show you what you haven't read. Now bookmark that page. Go there everytime and you will see everything that you haven't read yet. (you must be signed in) Then you can click on a topic and read your unread messages, hit the back button on your browser and then read the next one.
guitarchuck

Postby stambi » Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:44 am

guitarchuck wrote:Hi Boris,
Try this:
From the "Board Index" page click on: • View unread posts • It is just below Chet's picture at the top left hand corner of the page in the following wording:

View unanswered posts • View unread posts • View new posts • View active topics Mark forums read

After you click on • View unread posts • It will show you what you haven't read. Now bookmark that page. Go there everytime and you will see everything that you haven't read yet. (you must be signed in) Then you can click on a topic and read your unread messages, hit the back button on your browser and then read the next one.

Thank you Chuck. I'll need some time to fight with this new chetboard. There is so many buttons, signs and clickings with mouse. I hope I'll be the winner in that fight.
Boris Stambuk
stambi

Postby Mike Nye » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:39 pm

Hello everyone,

PLEASE adjust the board's time settings for your time zone, so that messages appear in the correct order so as NOT to confuse others due to messages being out of chronological order.

Thank you,
Mike
If BRUTE-FORCE isn't working, you're not using enough ! ! !
Mike Nye

Postby Dan Ryan » Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:50 am

I know I'm old and don't readily accept change, but for now I'll have to cast my vote for the old chetboard. Sorry
Dan Ryan

PreviousNext

Return to Announcement and News