New Guy

Welcome to the new Chetboard!

New Guy

Postby Greg B » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:08 am

Just wanted to say hello to everyone.
Long time Chet, Merle, Jerry, Rick Allred, etc. fan here.
I've been "playing guitar" since I was around 14. Like most, I have always played with a flat pick. Last year at the tender age of 44 I finally got the guts to make myself strap on a thumb-pick and stow every flat pick in the house in the attic so I wouldn't be tempted to relapse ;) . I guess the real motivation is that I began playing at my church on occasion and wanted to play Chet's gospel tunes :D .
Now I'm a 45 year old struggling thumbpicker :shock: .
I have always loved Gretsch guitars and currently own a '65 Tennessean I bought when I was 20, and a 6122-62 reissue.
I have learned a great deal from some great people here already. I am lucky enough to already know a couple of people here, and their encouragement and priceless advice keep me motivated.
Looking forward to talking to y'all.
Greg B
Greg B

Re: New Guy

Postby BillB » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:23 am

Welcome, Greg!
I played fingerstyle without a thumbpick until I was in my mid-40s, strictly using my thumb nail. When Chet passed away, I decided it was about time that I learned to use a thumbpick. Even having played fingerstyle, it was still difficult to adapt. It took a little while, but I play everything with a thumbpick now. Wish I had made the switch sooner. Hang in there, and hang in here at the Chetboard.

Bill B.
BillB

Postby DagerRande » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:41 am

Welcome Greg! This board was already in existence for a number of years before I joined also. There are lots of well informed people here in many areas relating to Chet's history, specifics about his guitars, etc., not to mention a few who were among his personal friends. Also some great guitarists using his style. Glad you joined us!
Rande Dager

We are all capable of doing more than we think we can!
DagerRande

Postby Steve Moran » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:06 am

Welcome Greg. Good to see a local guy on the Chetboard!
:)
Steve
Steve Moran

Postby Greg B » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:27 pm

Thanks a lot for the warm welcome! :D
Hey Steve, I still need to get by to check out that Godin! Been pretty hectic around the salt mine lately.....

Thanks again,
Greg
Greg B

Postby guitarchuck » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:15 pm

Welcome to the Chetboard! Be sure and check out the Paul Yandell FAQ, it has a lot of good information:

http://www.misterguitar.us/cbimg/PaulFAQ.html
guitarchuck

Return to Announcement and News