Chet Atkins At Home -- your thoughts?

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

Chet Atkins At Home -- your thoughts?

Postby mark reinhart » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:58 pm

I appreciated the comments I got regarding Chet's HI-FI IN FOCUS album, and now I 'd like to ask everyone a few questions about his AT HOME album. First off, what tracks do you think are the most are the most notable ones on the album? Obviously, "Yankee Doodle Dixie" is probably the album's most-remembered number, but I'd like to know which other ones might be your favorites.

Second, I feel this particular album shows Chet to be moving toward a much more "easy listening" vibe. All of his earlier albums contained a number of tracks that were real showstoppers -- that is, fast, musically aggressive numbers with a lot of lightning-quick playing. AT HOME does not really have those kinds of numbers -- in fact, almost every track is quiet and reflective. The album strikes me as one that was made to be listened to during a peaceful night at home in front of a fire in the fireplace. So, has anyone else ever thought about the fact that AT HOME captures Chet mellowing as a musical performer just a bit?
mark reinhart

Re: Chet Atkins At Home -- your thoughts?

Postby mattburnside » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:24 am

"Nagasaki" is just killer. Reminds me of "Heartaches" the way he sets up a perfectly arranged single guitar part and then launches into a lovely extended solo. It's definitely on my to-learn list.
mattburnside

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins