How many "kick backs" in Snowbird

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

How many "kick backs" in Snowbird

Postby Pickin Palmer » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:06 pm

Due to somebody asking about the C roll in Wildwood Flour the other day - I checked out that Matt Cowes YT video of it (very helpful) - then, I ended up looking at him playing a tune I've been wanting to play for a long time - Snowbird. After watching him play the intro I said to my eager over confident self, "Hell, I can play that!" Which, turns out, I almost can. If I can figure out how many "kick backs" to dial into my Boss DD-3 (and, the length of each) I can add this tune to my next CD: "Twelve Moore Toons Palmer Hasn't Quite Got a Handle On."

Have any of youz guys used a DD-3 to play this tune??

Palmer
Pickin Palmer

Re: How many "kick backs" in Snowbird

Postby George Beasley » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:01 pm

Set it to one repeat, with the repeat coming in three 8th notes later. If you play a note on beat one, the repeat should fall on the "and" between beats two and three.
Thanks,
George
George Beasley

Postby Pickin Palmer » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:14 am

Thanks, George - you mean the "and" after the actual 2nd note of the tune?? Which means it shows up just after the 2nd note, right?

Palmer
Pickin Palmer

Postby George Beasley » Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:31 pm

Palmer,

When you set the echo for that song, the repeat is 8th note triplets. There are a few echoes out there that have that setting (Line 6 Echo Park is one I know) where you can just tap quarter notes, and it will automatically set it for you. If you don't have that setting, you will need to play around with it depending on the tempo of the song. The easiest way is to set the echo to one repeat, then thump quarter notes and adjust the time until it comes out in between the 2nd and 3rd quarter note (on the "and" if you are counting quarter notes as One and Two AND Three and Four).
Thanks,
George
George Beasley

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins