Gibson pus for an Ibenez guitar ?

Talk about guitars, amps and other gear.

Gibson pus for an Ibenez guitar ?

Postby Larry Lenhart » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:57 am

I have a 70s Ibenez guitar which I think is their version of the Gibson L5. I know that a lot of things go into sound, the player (mostly), the amp, the actual acoustics of the guitar, etc. What I am wondering is if there are any p/u s that I could put in my old guitar that would come remotely close to the sound of the old Gibson super400s of Merle, and Eddie, etc I love that sound, and I know that no amount of electronics help would get me close to either of their talents, but was hoping if some one knew of any pickups that I might try . Thanks in advance.
Larry Lenhart

Re: Gibson pus for an Ibenez guitar ?

Postby cstrohschein » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:02 pm

I would have to go with Gibson 57' classics (NOT epiphone ).

I almost put some in my 2008 Ibanez AF75, but I found a good deal on some HS filtertrons that had been converted to english mount instead.
cstrohschein

Postby tyguy » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:39 pm

Or Duncan 59's.The new Burstbuckers(Gibson)should be better than the '57's or Duncans as they are not potted like the original pafs which gives a lot more high end.The Duncan Antiquities are great but way too much money. The Best, Ty M.
tyguy

Postby LMark » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:06 pm

Larry, I hope it's okay for me to jump in here. If you want to sound like Merle, you have to have P90's. Period.

Problem: your guitar came with humbuckers. Solution: P90's in a humbucker-sized frame. Seymour Duncan can make you some P90 Antiquities that will drop in, but it will cost you a little cash. Tell them you want the same PUPs Thom Bresh had Vestax put in his D'Angelico, but in a humbucker-sized shell. They will know exactly what you want. I only know this because I inquired a while back, though I have not followed up at this point.

Another option would be to put in something like GFS Mean 90s (http://www.guitarfetish.com/Mean-90-Glo ... c_132.html) [They come in different colors, but I linked to black]. Other folks on ebay and elsewhere also make P90s for humbuckers. I have not tried any of these, however. Maybe someone else on the board has tried GFS or others and will join the conversation.

I always suspected that whatever mfg changes are necessary to make a P90 fit the humbucker shell also changed the tone or voicing a little--but I can't prove that. I would think it would still be close.

Best,

LMark
LMark

Postby Larry Lenhart » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:28 pm

Thanks guys for all of your input...I really appreciate it ! I think I will order the mean 90 that you mentioned above...for $80 how can I go wrong with the experiment ! Thanks again....this forum is always so helpful ! I havent been on much lately since the forum format changed, but I am getting used to it. Thanks again !
Larry Lenhart

Return to Guitars and Equipment