Kent

Watch and share videos from youtube

Kent

Postby keener » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:58 pm

Last week a friend of 30 years passed away. The preceding week he had been diagnosed with advanced liver cancer and given no more than a month to live ... he only lived about 4 days after that diagnosis. Another reminder to all of us that we could go at any time.

I wrote a tune in his honor. Like some of you, I sometimes play the guitar when I am down, and this just sort of came to me.

I posted it on Facebook over the weekend and Ron Bloor commented that parts of it sound like "After You've Gone." On reflection I can see what he means, but I didn't intend to pattern the tune after anything. But, as has been wisely said, there is nothing new under the sun.

Take care
Bruce
keener

Re: Kent

Postby RonBloor » Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:55 pm

I certainly know what you mean Bruce when you say "I sometimes play the guitar when I am down". I know I do.. Your friend Kent would have been very honored. You did a wonderful job of expressing your feelings for him with that tune. Thanks.
Ron Bloor
RonBloor

Postby cgprnd » Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:23 pm

Bruce, I heard a few recognizable "pieces of various songs" that you incorporated nicely in what you put together. That was nicely done. You also have nice narrow fingers, not to mention quite agile.

Rande
Rande Dager
cgprnd

Postby Billy Anderson » Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:32 pm

Bruce, I'm sorry about the loss of your friend. Can't think of a more beautiful way to honor and say goodbye to someone who has been a big part of your life. Billy
Billy Anderson

Postby Richard Hudson » Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:47 pm

Bruce, I'm sorry to hear about your friend. That all came about rather suddenly sounds like. Makes it tough. I hope you find comfort in the good memories and the good music you make. Your fingerings are just amazing to me.
Richard Hudson

Postby cgprnd » Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:24 pm

Hey Bruce, I'm sorry that my comments were limited to your performance. I'm also sorry for the loss of your friend. I know that you've lost more than one loved one in recent years.

Rande
Rande Dager
cgprnd

Postby Doug_H » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:00 pm

That's a very nice, obviously heartfelt tune, Bruce. I understand your sentiment and I'm sorry for your loss. I think there are a lot of us who find playing to be therapeutic. I know I do and always have.
Doug_H

Postby keener » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:09 pm

Thank you all very much for the kind words about Kent and about my picking. I always appreciate hearing from my musical family. You guys are fine folk and I appreciate you letting me take up some space here from time to time.
keener

Postby bill_h » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:11 am

Another fine job Bruce! My condolences for the loss of your friend. You did Kent proud by memorializing him with this tune.

I know what you mean by playing the guitar when feeling down. The guitar is always there for us and we're fortunate to be able to pass time with it.

I lost two good friends this past decade. Both of them were guitar players and both were a year or two younger than me. We're only passing through this world for sure.
bill_h

Postby rhirvine » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:39 pm

cgprnd wrote:Bruce, I heard a few recognizable "pieces of various songs" that you incorporated nicely in what you put together. That was nicely done. You also have nice narrow fingers, not to mention quite agile.

Rande

I always felt that since I have smallish hands that I was at a distinct disadvantage playing the guitar but my fingers are narrow which probably enables me to play some things better. I never considered that. Thanks Rande for mentioning that to Bruce.

Rich
rhirvine

Next

Return to Video Files