Hi Fi in Focus -- your favorites?

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

Hi Fi in Focus -- your favorites?

Postby mark reinhart » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:41 pm

Well, I'm moving on to Chet's next album for my book project -- so I would like to ask everyone about their favorite HI FI IN FOCUS tracks. I'm sure that all of us would agree that "Walk Don't Run" is one of Chet's all-time greatest and influential recordings -- but which other tracks off the album do you feel to be among Chet's very best? (By the way, I just looked over the track list of the album as I was writing this post -- there is no doubt that this is another one of those albums where EVERY one of its songs could rightfully be considered among Chet's very best!)
mark reinhart

Re: Hi Fi in Focus -- your favorites?

Postby Ray Bohlken » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:15 pm

Mark, this album was one of my favorites, too - like they all were. :D Walk, Don't Run is about my favorite song and Chet's version is my favorite version of the song. I first heard it by the Ventures and then discovered Chet's arrangement and I was amazed. Two other songs on that album are in that great range, too. Ain't Misbehavin' and Tara's Theme from Gone With The Wind are wonderful songs that Chet played so well. I especially liked the tone he had in Tara's Theme, plus his use of the Bigsby on that one was great, too. I enjoyed all of the songs on the album, but these were my favorites.
I'm looking forward to your book when it comes out. Thanks for taking on the project.
Ray
Ray Bohlken

Re: Hi Fi in Focus -- your favorites?

Postby emjaybee94 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:49 pm

Another great all round album that dazzles us pickers. I would certainly have to agree with "Walk Don't Run"; the Bach like counterpoint is phenomenal. "Ain't Misbehavin" is also a great tune; I love the staccato chording in that arrangement. Picking a third song is difficult, but for me "Lullaby Of The Leaves" just about edges it over the other tracks .... again, its the counterpoint.
Regards
Mike
emjaybee94

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins