A Couple of Problems with My NC

Talk about guitars, amps and other gear.

A Couple of Problems with My NC

Postby ralphnjoann » Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:02 pm

First, the guitar seems unbalanced and thus hard to hold. When playing while sitting, it wants to slide off my leg like it's bottom heavy. This is particularly true if I'm in the higher frets. A shoulder strap doesn't help much. I have a Gibson CG which doesn't do this; it's a dream to play. After about 30 minutes on the NC, I'm fatigued.

The second issue is the knobs used to hold the strap. They are forever coming loose. If I tighten them enough that they won't loosen, the entire assembly unscrews from the wood when I try to remove them. Does anyone else have these problems and if so, what do you do about them?
ralphnjoann

Re: A Couple of Problems with My NC

Postby craigdobbins » Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:13 pm

Can't help with the balance. My 2007 '59 Country Gent is balanced fine, both sitting and standing. Is your NC a Nashville Classic (before the name change)? If so, the first batch were very heavy, and not as balanced.

As far as the strap knobs, when you unscrew it you'll see that the part that screws into the wood has a tiny Phillips head. You can screw it tightly into the wood, and then tighten the knobs without the whole assembly coming loose later.

Gretsch knobs do loosen a bit during play- it's just a part of it. I've seen Chet occasionally tighten his strap knobs during a concert or TV appearance many times.

Craig
craigdobbins

Postby rhudson » Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:02 pm

Good advice from Craig, as always. I put a dab of Elmers wood glue on the screws and then screwed them into the guitar tightly, as Craig suggested. The knurled knobs will work loose occasionally, but as Craig mentioned, that's just part of the Gretsch mystique. Just make it a habit to check them frequently. I don't have an answer for the balance problem either, but I have the same problem with my CE if I am sitting on a high stool, but not with a regular chair.
rhudson

Postby Tom Workman » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:19 pm

Just thought I'd chime in here as well. I have the same issues with my 2006 NC. As for the balance problem, I use a wide leather strap that kind of "grips" my shoulder pretty well which seems to counteract that problem. As for the strap knobs, I wonder if some small lock-washers would do the trick? Maybe I'll give that a try myself. At any rate, the guitar sounds so good and plays like butter so I'm willing to put up with these things. Thanks - Tom W.
Tom Workman

Postby Norm » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:21 pm

Richard, I'm sure the guys at the GDP would have something good for the strap button et al issue.

Sorry to hear about the balance issue. I've never played a 6122-59. My old '62 Gent sits fine
...that's how it looks to me...The opinion expressed above is my own and does not necessarily reflect the views of this station. Your mileage may vary...

Audio samples: http://www.youtube.com/user/acountrygent/videos
That should do it.
Norm

Postby gmoseley » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:28 am

I use the same trick that Richard does, a tiny bit of Elmer's on those screws and then put 'em back in and leave 'em overnight....Should the screw-holes ever get too loose, I use Paul's old method of splitting a toothpick (very tiny) and stick that down into the hole, THEN the Elmer's glue . . .the screw will never loosen again. And yes, those knobs will always need to be checked,,,I check mine every time I put the guitar on.

That balance issue you speak of is unknown to me,,,,mine feels perfect HOWEVER, I would much rather it be bottom heavy than 'neck heavy' - - I can't stand that,,,I've had neck heavy guitars and hate trying to hold up the neck and play at the same time, that's most uncomfortable to me! NOW,,,I sit down most of the time when I play and I hold the guitar in the "classical position" - -between my legs, body resting on my left leg. That is perfect, for me. That position takes some getting used to but once you become comfortable with it, it balances perfectly and the neck is right there, in front of you,,,,,SO much easier for me to negotiate. I can't play it anymore off my right leg. You might try that classsical position for a while and see if you like it, and can get used to it - - if you like it, you will never go back!

Gayle Moseley
gmoseley

Postby ralphnjoann » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:08 am

Thanks for the suggestions, especially the glue trick, which will be implemented today.
ralphnjoann

Return to Guitars and Equipment