Chet's guitar for sale

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

Chet's guitar for sale

Postby pattie surman » Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:24 am

Chet's black 6120 guitar for sale on E-Bay for only $350.000.00
pattie surman

Re: Chet's guitar for sale

Postby Norm » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:52 am

I think Gretsch is coming out with a reissue of that guitar. This kind of thing makes for great buzztalk.

Chet didn't even keep it. He gave it to Bill Porter who sold it. It made a star turn on a video and that's about it. Paul said he saw it played on the GOO once
...that's how it looks to me...The opinion expressed above is my own and does not necessarily reflect the views of this station. Your mileage may vary...

Audio samples: http://www.youtube.com/user/acountrygent/videos
That should do it.
Norm

Postby Richard Hudson » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:19 am

Gretsch's reissue of the guitar, it seems to me, will knock the value of the original considerably, which is already priced at a dreamed of value anyway, imo. I think the guitar is important in Gretsch and Chet history, but not a major player. It was just a step in the process of Chet eventually getting the '59. I doubt that the '59 will ever come up for sale in our lifetimes, if ever, but if it did it would probably be in 7 or more figures.
Richard Hudson

Postby Ray Bohlken » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:49 am

Ray Bohlken

Postby pattie surman » Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:32 pm

Sound just like Chet. Buy Chet's Hascal Haile Grammy Award Winning guitar that he used to record "Chet Atkins Goes To The Movies." This guitar was the precursor for all Haile"s to come in the future. Way more than just a guitar, it's a piece of musical history. PRICE $500.000.00. Buyer pays $13.000.00 for shipping, insurance, and my regret recovery.If out of state, add 29%. HURRY, HURRY, HURRY, THIS SPECIAL GUITAR WILL NOT LAST. B.S. Surman.
pattie surman

Postby Norm » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:15 pm

Guitar prices are funny

I forget how much it went for but the original carved top guitar that inspired the 6120 CGP went for a remarkably low price. Less than fifty thousand dollars. Cheap for a guitar with a lot of historical bells and whistles
...that's how it looks to me...The opinion expressed above is my own and does not necessarily reflect the views of this station. Your mileage may vary...

Audio samples: http://www.youtube.com/user/acountrygent/videos
That should do it.
Norm

Postby Eddie Estes » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:39 pm

If I could just have hit the Power Ball this would be mine!!!!!
Eddie Estes

Postby PhilHunt » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:49 pm

I'm sorry, but no guitar is worth that amount. Even if it is a historical guitar. It belongs in a museum....period. Just think what those guitars sold for when they first came out....$350-$500. I just don't see why people don't hold on to something like that. Are they that desperate and strapped for cash? I mean, I've had to sell some guitars and amps of mine and sure I could have asked for way out prices but I didn't. I had a '64 Gretsch Country Gent that I bought for $900 and sold it for $1500. The only reason I had sold it for more was because I had some parts replaced on it and Chet signed it in gold pen. I could have asked over $3000 for it but I didn't, only because to me it's just not worth it.

I've seen some of George Gruhns' guitar prices that are insane on some items. He has a Les Paul standard for $135,000. I mean seriously.....who is gonna pay that??? If I was going to pay that kind of money I would buy a house and rent it out so I can make money from there on out. A guitar doesn't make you money if it's just a possesion to just store away in it's case. If I wanted a Les Paul standard I would just buy a new one for a couple thousand. But, then again I'm not a fan of newer Gibson stuff or Les Pauls.

Take Tommy Emmanuel for example: He's been playing the same ol' beat up Maton acoustic for years and it's not worth that much, but he's stuck with that guitar because it suits him perfect. I think once a person finds "the guitar" that's all that matters. Now, if a person had the kind of money like Scott Chinery had that would be different. He must have been either single or had one understanding wife....that's all I can say.
PhilHunt

Postby Ray Bohlken » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:20 am

PhilHunt wrote:I'm sorry, but no guitar is worth that amount.

I think that guitar will be on eBay a LOOOOOOOOG time and won't come close to selling at that price. I can see it getting a premium over a guitar of similar vintage, but not that amount.
Ray
Ray Bohlken

Postby emjaybee94 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:33 am

I agree with you Ray, but perhaps it's just there to promote interest in the forthcoming reissue of this iconic guitar.
Regards
Mike
emjaybee94

Next

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins