Finger Style Guitar -- your favorites?

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

Finger Style Guitar -- your favorites?

Postby mark reinhart » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:06 am

I'm back to ask everyone another question relating to my book project. What songs from the FINGER STYLE GUITAR album do you feel would make the list of the greatest/most noteworthy Chet recordings? This time around, I will throw in my two cents worth right from the get-go. To me, "Swedish Rhapsody" is a lock not only because it is an incredible recording, but also because Chet himself selected it for inclusion on his 2-disc CD greatest hits collection back in the early 90s. I also feel that "Liza" features some of Chet's all-time best arranging and playing.

So do you feel that my choices here are on target? Is there a track off of the album that you feel is much more key to Chet's musical legacy than these two? There are a few others off of the album that I think might make my "greatest recordings" list -- but I think I'll keep quiet about them until I get opinions from some of you.

One last thing -- does anyone know offhand which issues of MISTER GUITAR featured the articles on Chet's TV appearances by John Chintala? I have the March 2013 issue with the third article from that series, but I really I think that I should have the first two parts for my research. Thanks!
mark reinhart

Re: Finger Style Guitar -- your favorites?

Postby Richard Hudson » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:34 am

They all are my favorites. Petite Waltz is one I have always enjoyed. The trill, or whatever you call it, on the last time around is especially tricky and just exactly what the piece needed. Fingerstyle Guitar is a masterpiece in itself, imo. If that was all we knew about Chet, it would be enough for me to know he was the greatest ever.
Richard Hudson

Postby Ray Bohlken » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:10 pm

The 1st Chet on TV is in issue #78 and the 2nd is in issue # 79.

The Fingerstyle Guitar album is one of my favorites. There are so many great arrangements and such wonderful playing. I agree with you about Liza, but I'd have to go with Chet's version of Unchained Melody and the electric version of Malaguena as my choices. I enjoy Swedish Rhapsody, too, but it is outshined my these other three I mentioned. I hope this helps.
Ray
Ray Bohlken

Postby videovejjie » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:28 pm

Richard, I certainly agree with you about the "Fingerstyle" Album. It is the best album of any guitar genre ever done. I still am trying to learn some of those tunes. Trying for the sound is really the hardest part, although I can't do the tunes very well either. I could never say too much about this album. Chet will never be duplicated.
videovejjie

Postby mark reinhart » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:30 am

The songs that have been brought up in this thread were the other ones I was considering -- so I feel like I must be on the right track here. I'm trying to take in a wide variety of opinions/sources to determine just which recordings of Chet's would truly be considered his absolute best of all time -- and many of you on the Chetboard have already been a big help in this effort. Thanks again!
mark reinhart

Postby David Elliott » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:39 am

Hi Mark,

Choosing a "favorite" recording/album of Chet's is about as subjective as you could get! Kind of like describing a beautiful woman, or maybe what flavor of ice cream you like the best! :lol:

I would have no problem whatever with this however, because to me, his absolute best recordings of his long career were released, sadly, after his passing...

While I realize your question had to do with the "Fingerstyle Guitar" album, the two CD recordings entitled "SOLO SESSIONS": http://www.misterguitar.us/solosessions.html to me, were his finest, and most listenable recordings that were ever released!

David Elliott
David Elliott

Postby Sholmst » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:16 pm

Swedish Rhapsody was always by favorite. I've played it on gigs, too. I never got the fingering right until Paul Yandell posted about it on this forum some years back. I did get the ending right, though!
Scott R. Holmstrom
Sholmst

Postby mark reinhart » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:27 am

I again wanted to let everyone know how much I appreciate the opinions I'm getting here. They have really helped my song selection process, and at least once I have changed up my selections because of them! Incidentally, I'm sure I will be including something from the SOLO SESSIONS CD set -- whatever I pick will likely come as a kind of postscript after "Smokey Mountain Lullaby." (There is no doubt I will be including that number, since it is the final track on his last-ever official album of new material. Plus, it is just a fabulous Chet-penned tune!)
mark reinhart

Postby emjaybee94 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:26 pm

Hi Mark,
Hope it's not too late to add my remarks. This is highly subjective of course, but I've always considered this album one of the top 5 that I would recommend to anybody wanting to get a real feel for Chet Atkins music. Very difficult to pick three top tunes though, in fact almost impossible, as the album has 12 fantastic tracks on it. If I have to pick three it would have to be: LISA, because of the incredible solo Chet plays on harmonics. HEARTACHES, I love the introduction. UNCHAINED MELODY, the echo Chet uses on this is just stunning. The overall sound on this album is unique; to my humble ears Chet never quite got that sound on any of his other albums.
Regards
Mike
emjaybee94

Postby mark reinhart » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:26 pm

Thanks for jumping in, Mike -- I'm happy to say that everyone who passed their opinions on to me about this particular album, including you, will have at least one of their favorite tracks discussed in detail in my book! Everyone has been such a great help -- and after I close this message, I'm going to ask everyone's thoughts about HI-FI IN FOCUS.
mark reinhart

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins