How Did He Do that?

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

How Did He Do that?

Postby jdrpicker22 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:21 pm

Ok guys I absolutely love this lick and i really want to do it but i cant figure out how to make the same sound. Chet used this lick alot. Very Cool can someone direct me to a video about how to do it or give me some good instructions. The lick is in the video of Marty Robbins and Chet playing Tiger Rag starting at 0:27-0:40. that rolling arpeggio thing?

here's the link. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDJK5TWPGAU
jdrpicker22

Re: How Did He Do that?

Postby Norm » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:30 am

That is the famous "superlick"

Chet described how to do it and a couple of variations in his old Guitar Player coulumn called "Son Of Superlick" and an earlier column just called the Superlick
...that's how it looks to me...The opinion expressed above is my own and does not necessarily reflect the views of this station. Your mileage may vary...

Audio samples: http://www.youtube.com/user/acountrygent/videos
That should do it.
Norm

Postby Tony Enamel » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:45 am

Since Chet can't record Youtube tutorials anymore, Richard Smith kindly broke the Superlick down in his Lickipedia:

That's the lick, Chet plays at the end of the song. Is that the one you're looking for?

If you mean the part between 0:27 and 0:40, this is not the Superlick. Looks like Banjo Rolls. Richard Smith explains them here:

Here's the Jerry Reed approach explained by Brooks Robertson:

Hope this helps -

Ingo
If it ain't got the groove, the bodies won't move.
Tony Enamel

Postby alexjones » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:41 pm

Tony is right on - between 27-40 secs that is not the "Superlick". Those are pretty easy rolls (starts at 31 secs) that sound a lot more complicated than it sounds. Its a forward thumb and two fingers roll. There are only 2 positions - first is 5th fret on G string, 3rd fret on B and 2nd fret on E -- second is 4th fret on G string and 3rd fret on B and E strings. You do a forward roll on the 3 strings and then lift your finger to allow an open E string on the second time around. Repeat twice and go to the next chord shape and do the same thing. Sounds really cool sped up like Chet plays it. By the way, Chet does the "Superlick" at the end of the song. Hope this helps - it would have been easier to write the tab out. But it should get you by. Take care.
Alex
alexjones

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins